Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,691   Online: 805

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolleifix ?

BAB

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleifix ?

Hi,

I put together an over-the-shoulder camera strap that connects to the tripod socket of any camera, including the Rollei E I have. A friend warned me about bending the back plate of the Rollei using this carrying method and recommended the Rolleifix plate. Looking at descriptions and photos of the Rolleifix, I'm not certain this would be a fix for supporting the camera upside down by the tripod socket. I.e., the E model has the groves around the tripod socket and the two little mounting holes on the front panel, but is that really sufficient to protect the back plate from warping hanging it upside down? Perhaps I'm missing something?

A photo of the strap is attached.

A corollary question would be, does anyone have one they might sell. KEH has a bargain Rolleifix for $40, but that depends on what they mean by "bargain."

Thanks much,
    BAB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20121222_3144.72.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't do either. Your strap looks interesting but swinging a TLR from the tripod mount could risk bending hte back. The risk with the rolleifix is that if the quick-release lever inadvertantly gets flipped -- your camera will go crashing to the ground. My preferred solution was to use a Rolleifix on a monopod and carry it like a walking stick (monopod extended), or carry it like a baby cradled in arms (monopod fully retracted).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would agree as we'll. tripod socket is intended for a tripod. All thought the strap has a very cool look to it. The risk factor is to great to have that beauty ruined.

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Rolleifix would still stress bottom plate, especially if you hung the camera with it. The bottom plate is only aluminum and easy to bend.

I would strongly recommend that the camera be hung by the strap hangers only, which attach to the body casting..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, that's a disaster waiting to happen, Rolleifix or no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use what the mfg. provided for with this camera. Refer to the manual if in doubt. IMHO, don't do it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with everybody else don't do it.

Jeff

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vysk View Post
    The Rolleifix would still stress bottom plate, especially if you hung the camera with it. The bottom plate is only aluminum and easy to bend.

I would strongly recommend that the camera be hung by the strap hangers only, which attach to the body casting..
    But would not, when mounted on a sturdy tripod as a coloumn studio tripod, due to leverage when gripping the camera, when cocking, the stresds on the bottom plate be greater, than with the camera just hanging on its tripod socket?

BAB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the overwhelming "WHAT THE HELL'S THE MATTER WITH YOU."

I'll reattach the old strap, but it's the age of that leather strap that bothers me. Leather rots eventually, and mechanical clips wear out. What I'm referring to are the clips that attach to the posts on either side of the camera. I've always wondered when one or the other is going to break. Is there a way to cradle the Rollei using a strap that uses the tripod mount and also catches the strap-mounting posts?

On the other hand, I do have a monopod and that seems the most obvious solution. Rolleis are forever, but not if thrown on the ground.

Thanks,
    BAB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not feed the straps down, through the origininal hangers, along the side of the body and then connect to the tripod socket?

This way, you would be holding the camera right side up, keeping most of the stress on the original location but giving you extra support from the bottom. I think it would more secure that way.

The down side would be that you have to unscrew the strap from the bottom in order to change the film. Would the (hypothetical) extra security be worth it?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin