Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,271   Online: 880

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammany View Post
    I am a little curious about the Tri X recommendation. Why not T Max? Back "in the day" the knock on Tri X was its grain structure. The reviews I read of T Max 400 indicate that the speed/grain combination is better on that film.
    Probably like most things it boils down to personal preference. That's the neat thing about film. You buy one camera. Then you sample different emulsions and find the one that works for YOU. B&W is even more interesting because you can process at home and the variety of developers and developing techniques is endless.

Some people like grain. Some people avoid it most of the time. Some people like Rodinal. Some people like XTOL. Some people mix XTOL in Rodinal. I think the key is to get some factual data points and then experiment.

I think you should get a roll of TriX and a roll of Tmax and give them both a try. Decide for yourself which one YOU like. Unlike digital where people talk solely about resolution most of the time. Film is about the overall look. Resolution is important... to some of us, but the overall look is what will guide most people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    The 50mm has a 67mm filter thread, as do all the other lenses (except for the 40mm, 500mm, and the two zoom lenses)
    That's only the 'S' version, the 50 mm PS is 77 mm and (empirically determined) pretty sensitive to stuff building out on the front. That 67 mm across the line was one of the things that went by the wayside in the transition from S to PS. The 110 mm f/4.5 PS 1:1 macro takes a 72 mm filter. (Would I had bought 77s first and then some step-up rings! )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    Probably like most things it boils down to personal preference. That's the neat thing about film. You buy one camera. Then you sample different emulsions and find the one that works for YOU. B&W is even more interesting because you can process at home and the variety of developers and developing techniques is endless.

Some people like grain. Some people avoid it most of the time. Some people like Rodinal. Some people like XTOL. Some people mix XTOL in Rodinal. I think the key is to get some factual data points and then experiment.

I think you should get a roll of TriX and a roll of Tmax and give them both a try. Decide for yourself which one YOU like. Unlike digital where people talk solely about resolution most of the time. Film is about the overall look. Resolution is important... to some of us, but the overall look is what will guide most people.
    Thanks for the reply. Wonderful suggestions, of course and I intend to compare several films. I am more interested in tonality than in grain structure so he Ilford films also will be on the list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    That's only the 'S' version, the 50 mm PS is 77 mm and (empirically determined) pretty sensitive to stuff building out on the front. That 67 mm across the line was one of the things that went by the wayside in the transition from S to PS. The 110 mm f/4.5 PS 1:1 macro takes a 72 mm filter. (Would I had bought 77s first and then some step-up rings! )

Thanks, I stand corrected.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it helps to think in 35mm equivalents, the 40mm lens translates to 23mm, and the 50mm to 28mm (from KEH notes on both lenses). 40mm is pretty dramatic and probably will used less than the 50, but as said above, if you can afford both, buy both if you 'see' in wide angles.
    John Voss

My Blog

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I mostly use 150&105s lenses for landscapes though sometimes I use the 50ps.
    As far as films go Velvia is the king for landscapes and Provia is amazing too. For c41 I'd recommend Reala if it weren't discontinued.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On some other forums, I have seen recommendations of Koh Camera (no, not a misprint of KEH) for Bronica parts.

I have an ETRSi and I have been shooting Delta100 and Delta400 and home developing in TMax developer. I was not satsfied with lab development of black and white, because the only black and white lab in town uses the same process for all films. For C41, the commercial lab is fine though. I like Portra400. Commercial bulk scans are poor. I bought a used flatbed and its fine for med. format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin