Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,365   Online: 843

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya 645 normal macrolens

Im thinking about to replace my normal-lens 80mm f2.8 whith an 80mm f4 macro. Is that macrolens equally good and as sharp at infinity? I shoot landscapes mostly but like to take closeups sometimes.
    Want to travel lite but also have Mamiya 45mm and zoom105-210mm lenses to carry. So another lens like 120mm f4 macro is out of the question i think. I shoot slides, mostly velvia for slideshows.

In 35mm one of my favorite lenses are micro-nikkor 55mm f2.8. Extremly sharp lens at all distances, but more prone to flare and more vignetting at same aperture than nikkor 50mm f1.8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 80mm f/4 macro "N" is my most recent acquisition, and I like it a lot.

I've shot it at a variety of distances, and find it performs very well.

The downsides of the lens are minor, but worth considering:

1) it is bigger and heavier than the 80mm f/2.8 version, and takes bigger (67mm) filters and lens caps;
    2) as a macro lens, it has a very long focus "throw" - it may, therefore, be less suitable for quick action or weddings; and
    3) it is a bit more expensive.

I deal with all the above by having a 110mm f/2.8 as an alternate.

The images below were shot on Ektachrome E100G and then scanned (medium resolution) by a lab. I then re-sized all the files up to a size suitable for 12" x 16" RA4 prints. For APUG, I re-sized the attachments to fit within the site's restrictions.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01a-2012-11-27-ACER.jpg   02a-2012-11-27-ACER.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used the 80/4, so no comments re it. But, if you can get a macro adapter for the M645 then maybe that would be a better option, cheaper, lighter and you get to keep using the 80/2.8 which is excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By "macro adapter" do you mean the auto ext. rings?
    There is also a macro spacer that is designed to be used with the 80/4 macro lens and giving it 1:1 magnification but I've never tried to attach it to a different lens. Not even sure if you can...
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Matt! Il go for that lens. Used Mamiya 645 manual-focus lenses are very low price these days. Extension rings is a mess to work whith. And never as sharp as an real macrolens whith floating elements.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin