Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,489   Online: 1088

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Since we are on the subject.. Does anyone know a place where one could RENT a Hasselblad lens to try it before buying it?
    If your near Dallas, Dallas Camera rents hasselblad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbender View Post
    If your near Dallas, Dallas Camera rents hasselblad.

I thought they only rented H systems. I'll have to check them out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the consensus seems to be that the 50 / 80 / 150 kit is popular for good reason. One would choose the 50mm for a distinct wide angle feel (somewhat akin to a 28mm on 135 format) and my thought of the 60 / 150 kit only if I intend to keep within a targeted subject or general purpose subject matter.

I suppose versatility should win out here.

So, say I decide to go for the 50, should I hunt for a C or a CF? If I choose C, both of my existing lenses would match, but if I choose CF, it would benefit me to upgrade the other two lenses as well, which naturally will increase my overall cost, but will potentially be better in the long run due to limited serviceability of the older C lenses. What are your thoughts on this?
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Building a Hasselblad lens kit: Planning

If your budget can afford the CF and upgrading the others then go for it. If not do not hesitate to get the C, just get from a good, reliable source.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can get a CF get a CF, if not get a CT* and be happy. Whatever you buy does not mean you have to change your other lenses, why do you say that if you get a CF it will benefit you to swap the other two lenses?
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Common filter size. That is about the only real (practical) benefit of having all lenses of the same type. Althopugh I ahve read about some people getting "confused" when using some lenses with EV lock and others without... but my opinion on that is that practice and regular usage cures that kind of confusion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by agphotography View Post
    That's why I was wondering if the 60mm would be a good all purpose lens for me and then use the 150mm when I need a bit tighter framing?

Otherwise the 50 definitely sounds like a fun lens, but I suppose it would make the most sense to buy a C version as my other two lenses are C type, unless I sold both and started over. But I should probably have my body and backs tuned up first
    I have been using the 60/80/120 setup for years. Had a 50mm Distagon but it always seemed too wide for my taste. I like the 60mm perspective better so I sold the 50. The 120 S-Planar is amazingly sharp lens especially in the 6-25' range. It's likely the best lens I own.
    If you come across a good deal on a 100mm Planar, I would recommend one. Use 60mm and 100mm and if you need longer, get a 150mm Sonnar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep wondering, how wide would I really need to go? I really like the thought of the 60mm as I understand it's really easy to handhold and not have to worry so much about perspective distortion as one would with the 50mm. Though I do quite enjoy a good wide angle as they're fun to use.

I guess the best thing to do would be to rent / borrow those two lenses if possible and see which one I like better.
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, for the C lenses, the 60 doesn't use bayonet filters, so filter compatibility isn't an issue, I think this is true for the 50 C as well. There are series to bayonet adaptors that let you use the series filters for the wides on the bayonet lenses though.

Hasselblad Historical has a nice chart for comparing focal lengths between formats;
    http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWequifoc.aspx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found that the 60mm was too close to the 80mm.

I have only CF lenses: 38mm [SWC], 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm and I am happy with that combination. I would also recommend 38mm [SWC], 50mm, 100mm, 150mm and 250mm.

Thus the reason for my name.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin