Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,142   Online: 957

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Building a Hasselblad lens kit: Planning

Hi guys,

I more or less inherited the 500cm I'm using along with a 80 & 150mm C T* lens kit. I like them both, but I'm having some trouble deciding what to plan on for the future.

In the 35mm world I am very much a fan of a 35/85mm combo, which has me wondering if I should sell the 80 and get a 60mm for a two lens kit. Or should I keep the 80 and add a 50mm? I know the 50/80/150 kit was quite popular.

The next question then is do I upgrade to the CF lenses for an easier time focusing? I just want to plan things out in advance so I'm not doing a lot of unnecessary buying & selling.

Separate and final question: are there any reputable service people in the Southern California area whom I could have a CLA done with on my body and backs?
    - Abram

35mm / 120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 50, 80, and 150 for my Hasselblad kit, and they work fine for my work. I have all CF lenses because I despise the older lenses' method of interlocking the shutter and aperture controls together. I don't think they're really any easier to focus than the older C lenses, as the CF lenses also have a rather narrow focusing ring that is awkward to use, though they do turn a bit more smoothly.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a 50mm and an 80mm.The 50mm is my most used.I've also got a size 8 extension tube that I'm using with the 80mm-for me it means I don't have to have a long lens as now I can easily get the "head and shoulders" shots that I like with the close focus,keeps the bag lighter as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 50, 80, 150 kit. I also had a 250CT which I sold to replace with a 250CF, just haven't found one yet. I find the 135 vs 6x6 analogy doesn't always work, the 80 is my most used lens and can be both wide and like a 50mm (in 135) at the same time. It has to do with each particular shot and how the square vs rectangular format looks. I would not like to have a 60 instead of a 80 for a normal lens as that would then make it always look wide, the 80 is my most used lens.

If you do want to try swapping the 80 for a 60 then buy the 60 and use it side by side with the 80 for a while, don't sell the 80 to buy a 60 and then find it doesn't suit you.

As for C/CT vs CF, the focusing can be just as heavy with a CF lens, it is more about the rest of the ergonomics. I think either a C, CT or CF lens is probably going to benefit from a service and regrease of the focus mechanism as that is probably going to make a difference. My 80mm is the newer CB type and the focusing is much much lighter. My 50 is a CF and it is heavy. My 150 is a CT and it is in between. The 250CT I had was very heavy to focus. So I'm kind of thinking of sending everything for a service and relubrication to make sure they are all ok...

To give you an idea of what I use most:

In my 135 system I use a 50mm and 35mm pretty much split between the two and on occasions a 135mm.

With the Hasselblad the vast majority of shots is taken with the 80mm. The 250mm is the next most used for general shooting, the 150 is for portraits and the 50 is my least used lens. Although I wouldn't sell the 50 as when I need it I need it.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i am very happy with my 50/80150 cf kit. brilliant optical quality no matter which lens you grab.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My kit is 60/80/150

I am more of a longish lens person than wide, of the three, the 150 is probably my most used, but the 60 (to my eye) is very sweet.
    However, if you are a wide angle type, the 60 won't be wide enough.

The CF's are a little more convenient, but I guess I am very adaptable, as two of my lenses are C's and I can go between them seamlessly. Sometimes I even use the lock on the CF that makes it work like the C's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Building a Hasselblad lens kit: Planning

My kit is 60/80/150/250. Had the 50 but sold it much prefer the 60 perspective but that's me. Now itching for a 180!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always been happy with 80 and 150. Never had a need/desire to go wider but sometimes think about how nice it would be to have a 250.

For service in SoCal go to http://www.stevecamera.com/service.html

Steve Choi and his team have always taken good care of me an dmy gear when repari is needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Over the years I gradually ended up with a 50,80,150,250,350,2x and some closeup tubes. While I generally find a use for each, I think for a two lens outfit I would go with the 50 and 150. When traveling those two lenses plus the 2x cover most of my bases. When going out locally I take what I feel like using at the time. What you might consider is a second body that way you don't have to change lenses or backs if you want to use two same film (or different films - just change the lens).

Having recently acquired a Titan pinhole the lens decision is greatly simplified -- no lens to bother with.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can highly recommend the 50mm. It is a real fun lens. I have the old design without floating elements for my SL66 and found it to be a great lens. Some people claim it is not sharp but I found it to be really sharp at f8 and f11, even on par with the 80mm and 120mm. If used wide open it is rather soft, that´s true.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin