Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,464   Online: 1015

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 488RC0 ball head holding my Mamiya RZ with a 180mm lens. Plenty sturdy. It's been a reliable performer for over four years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	61815
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 190 and use it regularly with my Hasselblad. Longest lens is 250. I have a 486RC2 head. The legs are fine and I don't find the weight an issue, the only thing is that sometimes I wish I had the 055 purely for the extra height. One thing, I never really extend the central column, it doesn't seem to feel very solid with the Hasselblad on, but maybe I am wrong.

The head is also fine but that probably has more to do with not having to rotate the Hasselblad too much as the square format minimises that. If I was to spend any money I'd get a better ball first then look at the 055 legs.

But with all that said, I am very happy actually with the 190+486 combo for my Hasselblad.
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    One thing, I never really extend the central column, it doesn't seem to feel very solid with the Hasselblad on, but maybe I am wrong.
    I figure if the center column is used much, a taller tripod is needed. I'd rather not have a center column and the weight of one go into taller legs. I have one for my Feisol but have never used it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My unit of currency is have you looked at 3 legged thing? Or maybe the Uniloc stuff?
    http://www.uniloctripod.com/
    http://www.3leggedthing.com/

The uniloc's are very cool and have a range of movement not generally seen on other tp's
    3leggedthing are just brilliant. Their models are named after famous musicians.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Buying a tripod can be tough. I did some reasearch too and, while still don't have commitment to get one; I'd have to do a couple more selections to choose one.

For those using Induro/Benro tripods, aren't these the same? The sites are very similar in layout, and induro seems an US oriented brand.
    I am very curious about the benro travel angel series. These fold quite compactly and despite having 4-5 sections, the higher end of the model claim to be able to carry big SLR's & MF equipment (12kg/20 so pounds). There's a "transfuncional" version which can separate a leg, put the head on it and it becomes a monopod.
    I remember a post of a member who owned a Hassie that despite being unthinkable, it worked very well.

It seems a very attractive option for travel, especially when space is limited. Been scratching my head with this one for a while. Sure, traditional legs like the manfrotto 055 will do better, but this benro seems to be half the size folded!

EDIT: Didn't see the post above, and the 3legged thing model (Brian) shown on the front page (scroll down) is very similar to the benro, same concept; and who knows, same manufacturer?
    Done some research and the benro is a copy of the gitzo traveller.
    Last edited by Prest_400; 12-28-2012 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Prest_400 - Yes the Induro/Burno are owned by the same company. The Induro Carbon's have stellar reviews on B&H. The Berno I can't seem to locate any reviews on and B&H is no longer selling them, which makes me somewhat uncomfortable.

This post has really helped me. I think I am going to go with Carbon. I weighed my current tripod and it weighs 5.3 pounds and I find it to be WAY to heavy, so I think carbon is the only logical way for me to go. The challenge now is deciding between how much I need for the hasselblad with a 150mm lens. Is the Gitzo series 1 enough (the hasselblad is a lighter medium format) or do I need series 2...? And then choosing a head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Analysis paralysis on tripod purchase!!

I replaced my G224 with the GT-2531 and could not be happier. Awesome tripod. I love my G224 and used it successfully for years but I can afford a CF now and the lighter weight and the CF legs being not as cold feeling on the hands are big pluses.

That said although I've never used a 1 series I would not go with a smaller tripod than the G224 or GT-2531 with my Hassy.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Analysis paralysis on tripod purchase!!

By the way, the aluminum G224 weighs 5.5 lbs and the carbon-fibre GT-2531 is 3 lbs. 2.5 lbs sounds like so little a difference but it is 30% and I've noticed and sensed a big difference when carrying.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When i was tripod shopping i was also paralyzed by all the details - some easy to qualify others not so easy....

I narrowed down to CF pretty quickly - it was almost a no-brainer for me. Mountain hiking with an RB67 Pro-S adds a fair bit of weight and a sturdy non-CF tripod was out of the question. So, i started researching CF tripod manufacturers. I read a lot of praise for Gitzo, but also a common failure as others here have mentioned - leg separation from the "spider". For the price of the Gitzo - ~$500 and up - that was out of the question.

The Really Right Stuff CF tripods look utterly awe inspiring, but i'm not able to splash out $1,000 for my hobby right now. I looked at Induro/Benro, Manfrotto and others, but Feisol had the best reputation at the best price point for the things i wanted in a tripod.

Feisol CF tripods are around $200-$250 less expensive than comparable Gitzo models, have an excellent warranty and reasonably the same performance level. So, i choose the Feisol "Tournament Series" CT-3342 "traditional leg" 'pod for ~$289 and bought a used middle-of-the-road Manfrotto ballhead (496RC2) from KEH for (iirc) $80. This combination, @ less than $400, is lightweight and plenty stout to hold my Pro-S and 180mm lens in all sorts of strange positions and varying wind conditions. I didn't buy a center column and a $3 plastic flash-mount, 3-way level off $bay is lighter, easier to use and wayyyyy cheaper than any leveling plate so i was able to save some cash there. I did splurge on the long spike feet as i photograph in all sorts of weather and conditions and they work very well.

I hope this helps and doesn't add to the circle of confusion.
    Last edited by fmajor; 12-29-2012 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: price additions

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin