Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,558   Online: 830

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grapflex-wk-3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	61882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grapflex-wk-1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	61883

Here are two images I took with the graflex....I believe these were both were shot using 400asa film. I took a roll this afternoon using a tripod as was recommended but I didn't develop it yet.

Shooter
    35mm
    The first one almost looks like an element is flipped. The second one doesn't seem to have any area in focus. You might check to see that the lens is screwed all the way into the shutter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for your response Yashinoff. I developed a roll of Fuji Color 400 that I shot Holidays displays on using a tripod there were a few out of focus ones but most were in focus ....here is one of the better ones.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	holiday2012-1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	61916
    I also checked the camera and everything seems tight. Perhaps this camera is just much more sensitive to motion blur than newer or more high end cameras. One other thing I noticed is there is perhaps a slight light leak on the right side (showing up on the left side of the image.)

I will be developing the test roll I shot today (T-Max 100) either tomorrow or Monday ...again tripod was used.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can always check focus with a DIY ground glass. Get a piece of plexi or similar and cover one face with scotch magic tape to simulate the surface of a ground glass. The side with the tape is your film plane. Hold that side to the film rollers and compare the focus to the focusing ground glass. If they dont match, I would make sure the ground glass in the viewing hood has not been flipped before I started messing with the lens. Here are a few shots from my 22 with the cheaper 3-element Graflar lens. Not a great lens, but can be quite sharp stopped down a bit. Both were shot from a tripod with a cable release:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img006a640x.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is about what I would expect from a triplet lenss, Matthew. BTW, when "clik this bar to see the full image" I got a Malicious Web Site warning from Norton. Not sure what that is about but doesn't look good.

When I shoot old cameras withuncoated triplets I call it "ART".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I believe the Graflex 22 is a renamed Ciroflex. First check and see if the mirror is in place correctly. The viewing lens on these had a threaded barrel with a lockiing nut. I believe the viewing lens is not adjusted correctly. A ground glass on the inner film rails, tripod, and a target focused at infinity should solve your fuzzy photographs. Steven.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very nice images Matthew. I understand what you suggested regarding using a DYI ground glass to see what the exposure lens sees and comparing it to the focus lens....now to find some plexiglass. I also want to see what quality I got with the tripod in my test shots yesterday I definitely saw an improvement with the image I posted but it's a night shot in color so not exactly comparable to my earlier shots. Thanks for you suggestion and examples.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Charlie, you probably can even just use a piece of frosted sticky tape across the film rails. Plexi or ground glass would be best but quick/cheap solutions might give you a faster answer. Just make surethe tape is taut and lies as flat as possible. Use a loupe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    That is about what I would expect from a triplet lenss, Matthew. BTW, when "clik this bar to see the full image" I got a Malicious Web Site warning from Norton. Not sure what that is about but doesn't look good.

When I shoot old cameras withuncoated triplets I call it "ART".
    I wouldn't. I've never had a triplet that soft, even on a 35mm camera. I suspect the lenses are not calibrated to each other or there is some other problem.
    You should be able to get something at least this sharp around f8:

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for the responses! I think the plan is to develop the "test roll" I made yesterday, daytime, B/W and pick up some frosted tape. The other thing I noticed is that the focus lens is adjustable so when it's a bit less windy out I'm going to stick it on my tripod and focus that lens as well. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin