Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,378   Online: 736

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    There's definitely something wrong. The images should be sharper than that. I would first open the shutter and shine a flashlight though the lens while looking through from the other side. This will tell you immediately if there is haze or fungus. Don't just look through it at a light bulb. Use a flashlight. If the lens is cloudy or has fungus or debris, etc, it would need to be cleaned out internally. If the lens is reasonably clean (moderate dust specks are not a big deal) then check for focus calibration issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    ....now to find some plexiglass.
    If you have an old CD case, that'd work. Trim it to size and put some frosted tape on it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys! Yes, I have plenty of old CD cases. Now I developed and scanned a roll I took with the Graflex using a tripod in daylight...with the tripod it seems not too bad. Here are the samplesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	graflextest-4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	62009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflextest-3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	242.3 KB 
ID:	62010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflextest-2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	62011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflextest-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	62012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflextest-1-2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	284.7 KB 
ID:	62013

I'm going check the lens and assuming the weather holds tomorrow do some of the focus tests people have mentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Things are getting better looking!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, yes, I checked the camera and the lens with a strong flashlight and it does not appear to have anything other than the expected perhaps tiny bit of dust (I didn't notice much)...there is nothing growing on it I also did a test with the makeshift groundglass (CD case with magic tape on it) and it appears to be OK. I also tried clicking the shutter on a tripod and holding it and I did notice some motion when I clicked holding it vs. virtually none on the tripod...that probably explains why the tripod test images did not have the sharpness issues of the previous (handheld) images. Perhaps I'm not steadying it enough when I hand hold it. I did have a thought that perhaps I should consider a monopod as it's less cumbersome than a tripod and would help?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good form counts for quite a bit. Proper use of a camera strap can go a long way toward adding stability. Also, trigger the shutter like you are firing a gun: gently pull the release.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would check the collimation of the lens before testing further with film.

If you have an SLR and a telephoto lens, it's very easy to do.

Instructions here. I plan to rewrite these to simplify the process.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you elekm.....I took a look at your instructions and also found a you tube video which clarified your instructions. I have to figure out exactly how to focus this particular lens..in the video (he was focusing a different camera) It looks like he took some covering ring off.

UPDATE: OK I looked at the graflex and there really is no way to adjust the lens focus...it simply screws off unlike the more sophisticated lens in your instructions and in the video. I did look though my makeshift "ground glass" and it seemed like OK focus looking out at a distance. (I didn't try the other way yet but it seemed irrelevant since I can't adjust it...it could prove it's OK though more definitively.)
    Last edited by cepwin; 01-01-2013 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin