Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,490   Online: 898

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooting the Graflex 22..

I picked up a graflex-22 a month or two ago and shot several rolls of film with it. I am having a bear of a time getting those ultra sharp images I expect with a MF camera. In some cases I know it was motion blur but even my best images, shot with enough light where the shutter speed was 1/100th or more they're not nearly as sharp then even my images with my debonair (similar to holga.) Is there something different you need to do when focusing though ground glass? Could it just be the camera...perhaps the focusing lens and the exposure lens not entirely in sync? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like it. Try taking shots on a tripod that are far enough away so you can just focus at infinity. Have some detail like a tree or brick building that you could enlarge and examine. Good luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks fotch...that sounds like a plan. I'm also going to develop some pictures of neighborhood Holiday displays that I did use a tripod for and see what they look like. There are some good places I can do what you suggested by my house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot on a tripod to rule out another obvious source of motion blur. I was similarly frustrated with an old Kodak Duo 645 for a while. Could not get a decent unfuzzy image no matter what. Then I shot on a tripod and found out it was me inducing motion blur.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cepwin View Post
    Could it just be the camera...perhaps the focusing lens and the exposure lens not entirely in sync? Thoughts?
    Rather unlikely, but possible. If a tripod and careful use of the magnifier in the hood does not improve IQ, something may be misaligned. If the camera was cleaned recently the ground glass may have been re-installed upside down or a lens element may be flipped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To expand a little on Fotch's suggestion, find a target -- a brick wall will do --, set the camera up on a tripod with the film plane at an angle to the wall -- 45 degrees is customary --, and focus on a mark on the wall -- I sometimes use a vertical strip of masking tape -- so you'll know where you wanted the plane of best focus to intersect the target. After the film has been processed, look at it with a magnifier. This will tell you whether the camera is focusing where you think it is.

What aperture are you shooting at? And which lens does your Graflex 22 have? I ask because their lenses, even the top of the line, weren't the best and had to be stopped down to get good image quality. Do your trial at several apertures. I'd do it from wide open to stopped down as far as the lens goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.graflex.org/graflex-22/

i think i have one of these and it never struck me as a high-end camera, more consumer-grade, good for good shots from the local drug store but keep your expectations low. It is VERY possible the lenses are not in synch--any indication of dents? when you focus does the front standard come out evenly top and bottom, left and right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pinholes in bellows can make negative look pretty bad/out of focus effects.
    These lenses are very old... not a clean as you may think on the insides... look for haze when looking thought at a light bulb.
    May be out or alinement from general abuse of 6 decades...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for the responses . It's actually in pretty good shape. There don't really appear to be bellows as such but perhaps a small light leak or its just a cheaper camera. It's fairly limited in terms of shutter speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Post a photo you've taken with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin