Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,806   Online: 860

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yashica 124g?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keeping cost in mind, it's worthwhile to look at the older pre-124g Yashicamats. The 124g has become something of a cult camera and that's reflected in the price. I was able to find a pre-124g in almost mint condition for $100. Another advantage of the older Yashicamats is that they're more solid, i.e. less plastic. Like the 124g the LM and EM models have a meter (selenium, not battery-powered), which is usually no good anymore -- although the meter on my EM is still working and accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Frith View Post
    Hi Todd,

My first medium format camera was a 124G, bought new, and I got some really good photos with it. Very easy to use. However, if you ever pick up a Rolleiflex, you'll realise why they are so cheap: the Rolleis are just so well built, but for the money, a good one will be a good entry to MF.

The thing is to buy one and enjoy it without worrying too much!

Susie
    I totally agree with the build quality of Yashicamats compared to Rolleiflex acmeras, I have both. In my case the value of my Rollei is about ten times that of my Yashica.

As I write I'm in the middle of cutting mats for an exhibition set of 50+ images, these are a mix of of prints from 6x6, 6x17, 5x4 & 10x8 negatives, and the 6x6 are either from my Rolleiflex (UK) or Yashicamat 124 (Turkey). The prints from the Yashicamat 124 negatives don't lack anything i terms of quality and unless I told someone they'd have no idea which camera was used, and that's all that really matters.

I treat myRolleiflex preciously, because it's mint despite being about 50 years old, but my Yashicamat vame with dings and wear so is very much a user camera so as you say I can use it without worrying too much.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was lucky with mine, I picked it up for $50 plus shipping. Fitted a Wein cell and all works great. I did need to clean the rear element of the lens though as it had a mild fungal like pattern, a bit of white vinegar later and the lens now sparkles. Images so far (only two films) have been very impressive although I do use a lens hood and I made a small cardboard hood for the meter to shade it from the sky.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For many years my favourite camera was my Rolleicord V. This has now been joined by a Rolleiflex and a Yashica-mat LM, both from my father's collection.

I should really try them both out to see how they compare but I doubt that I will be able to tell any difference between them or with the Rolleicord.

I tend to use f8 more than any other stop so I won't see any differences in the lenses wide open which is where most of the reported differences are.

As far as build quality is concerned - I haven't taken a Yashica apart but externally, it seems o.k. However, judging by the sound of the shutter and the feel of the wind on, I can tell that it doesn't quite have the manufacturing precision of the Rolleicord or Rolleiflex. I'm sure that when they were new, this was reflected in the price. Otherwise I doubt that many Yashicas would have been sold.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    I do use a lens hood and I made a small cardboard hood for the meter to shade it from the sky.
    My first serious camera was a Zenit E in the late 60's so I grew up with a similar meter on the camera body, although Selenium not Cds so more sensitive to bright skies etc. You quickly learn how to meter by turnig sideways or pointung the camera down a touch more, I did the samewith a Westo meter, except when using the Invercone.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to have a Yashicamat EM which is a pretty similar but slightly older model (60s as opposed to 70s) to the 124 and it gave very good results. The build quality was acceptable, it was reliable and the lens was really rather good in terms of sharpness and contrast. I only disposed of it when I had a large camera clear-out to focus on using my Olympus gear and sometimes regret parting with it.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shutter on my (ex the Bay) second hand one started to be slowish, it was a quick and cheap repair (if you can find someone to do it, in my case an all rounder).

I don't find it the easiest camera to focus after the split image Mamiya RB 67 screen system (any tips welcome) Mine has just a ground glass--with a quite bright image--and the built in magnifying loupe and needs fairly good eyesight and a regard to zone focus. I loaned it to a friend who was unimpressed by the focus procedure.

That said as a slight downer, it does make good pictures, is very compact and light and impresses Japanese tourists in Sydney. I understand that candid street pics are facilitated because the photographer is not looking through the viewfinder at the (un) suspecting subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica 124g?

I pretty much always use the magnifier unless focusing at infinity. No real issues but it does require a bit of care.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to consider a D with the 4 element lens, Ds were made both the 3 and 4 element lens, no meter and a wind knob rather than a crank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently picked up an LM from KEH for $70 (BGN) grade no meter. Glass is excellent, shows some minor wear but is capable of producing some nice images. I usually use a handheld meter anyway so I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin