Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,316   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

The most compact MF camera with AE and AF?

Manual, manual, manual is all I hear from a lot of people these days. But sometimes I just want the simplicity of pointing and shooting.

I understand by nature that MF cameras will be larger than 35mm (duh), but I'm just not fond of 35mm. But what are my options for (relatively) compact AE and AF MF cameras?
    Last edited by dpt2014; 01-01-2013 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe one of the Fuji 645 cameras?

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/ga645.html
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Steve. I've actually been looking at the GA645 and GA645W. Looks like I might go with either of those if there aren't any other suggestions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a big fan of the Pentax 645 and 645n.The n has autofocus.It's about twice the size and weight of a 35mm slr,but once you look through the viewfinder you'll be smitten-big and clear.It's designed like a 35mm slr and there's no problem with interchangeable viewfinders,it's only got the one it comes with.It's also the only MF camera that I take anywhere without my minolta lightmeter and exposures are always spot on.It's not as portable or compact as the Fuji GA line,which are great cameras,but it's really hard to beat a pentax 645 and a 45mm lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fuji GA645zi. Compact and exposures are generally spot on. It is very easy and quick in auto mode and has a good balance of heft and hold ability . In fact, an often repeated beef about this camera is that it doesn't do manual shooting easy enough. Produces sharp photos with nice contrast and color and is in a very useful zoom range.
    "Crap, why didn't I take more pictures"
    Me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt2014 View Post
    Thanks, Steve. I've actually been looking at the GA645 and GA645W. Looks like I might go with either of those if there aren't any other suggestions.
    The Fuji GA series are it. Every other medium format camera with AF is a very big, very heavy SLR.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    mamiya 645E looks and handles nicely

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt2014 View Post
    I doubt you live anywhere near me, but if you do you're free to come round and look at my GA645 and have a cup of tea.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the Pentax 645N. With the standard 75mm, it's a great combo. There even is a soft case for it, which I've used sometimes when only bringing the camera with this lens, although I usually put it in a Retrospect 20.
    The viewfinder is marvellous, lenses are excellent, but it is definitely more bulk than the Fuji series. Not autofocus but otherwise automatic is the Bronica RF645. Fuji and Bronica have a vertical orientation, which may or may not suit you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The most compact MF camera with AE and AF?

GA645. I have one and love it. I have the GA645zi too but like the simplicity of the GA645 more though the Zi is a better camera in many respects. Dante Stella's site discusses well.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin