Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,546   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What happened to the old style aperture blades?

Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    My Olympus XA only has two aperture blades with V-shaped ends so it has a square aperture. Works fine but does make little squares for boka.
    I might like the square on lights look

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mopar_guy View Post
    . . . Cheap lenses have fewer aperture blades.
    My Leitz Super-Angulon f/3.5 21mm in M-mount wasn't cheap, but has only four blades. Those four blades do have to stop down to a very small opening at f/22. In comparison, the many blades of old large format lenses had an opening of several mm at their minimum aperture. These were easier to make and less delicate than that tiny Leitz iris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    My Leitz Super-Angulon f/3.5 21mm in M-mount wasn't cheap, but has only four blades. Those four blades do have to stop down to a very small opening at f/22. In comparison, the many blades of old large format lenses had an opening of several mm at their minimum aperture. These were easier to make and less delicate than that tiny Leitz iris.
    Jim,
    Leitz Super-Angulon f/3.5 21mm was made by Schneider.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Roleiflex 2.8C, the last Rolleiflex model with 10 aperture baldes. Last year of manufacture was 1954, I believe. After this, the Synchro-Compur shutter units that Rollei used came with 5 blades.

Minolta Autocord shutters seem to have gone from 10 to 8 blades around 1956? Not certain when the Seikosha MX shutter was replaced by the Citizen. After using a couple of Autocords with 10 blades, I sold the first one with a Citizen shutter within a month- couldn't stand the different look of the 8-bladed aperture compared to the 10-bladed.

Yashica- Copal- had 10 blades into the early '60s it seems before going to 5 blades.

Anyone know when Hasselblad came out with the first leaf-shutter model? This would give some credence to the auto-aperture thing as the lenses needed to stop down quickly. Any other camera making such demands on apertures around 1954-5?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the Hasselblad 500c was introduced in 1957. The older lenses for 1000F/1600F indeed had round apertures with many blades. In fact the five blades is the Thing I dislike most about Hasselblad and Rollei lenses from the 2nd half of the century, though Hasselblad had round apertures at least in the 110/2 and 150/2,8.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad/Zeiss 110/2 actually has a two-layered aperture, where the front ones a pretty typical 5-blade that are slightly curved to give you a slightly rounder pentagon, but the rear layer stop down circularly, until around F5.6. Pretty cool design.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin