Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,318   Online: 902

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format

Filter size for Kowa 150mm 3.5

Although I have my Kowa for over 30 years i have never used a filter with the 150mm 3.5 yesterday I thought I would add a set, neither 72mm or 77 mm seenm to fit. Does anyone off hand know what size it takes, a 75mm?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All of my Kowa lenses took 67mm, including the 150.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    All of my Kowa lenses took 67mm, including the 150.
    67mm is too small, a prviate stated the Chrom is 74.8 which seems correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were two sizes, I'll look in my book. I've got a fair amount of Kowa info for the 21/4's.

The late models do indeed take a 67mm filter. These were made in chrome then black.

Early lens took a 77mm filter for the 150mm. Lens made in chrome only. The 55mm lens (early) took a 86mm filter.

For those wondering, the Kowa 19mm took 37.5mm filters.

I'm reading from a sept. 1, 1968 Kowa dealer price list.

Also have a Kowa six / 66 owners manual (before they called the 66 a Super 66) that also states 77mm for the 150mm lens. Can't find a date on this manual.

My 1980 Romney repair manual only addresses the 66 body, no lens information.
    Last edited by mikebarger; 01-03-2013 at 07:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will try a 77 again, but seemed to big.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Mike. I must have either had a major brain fart or the phone rang, or ...

After saying that all my Kowa lenses took 67mm, I meant to, and should have added, that this was not true for all Kowas ever made; and that it made a difference which model Kowa 150 the OP had. The older ones used different filters but Kowa standardized for most (not all) of their lenses later on is my understanding. Of course, I could be wrong ...

The simplest thing is just to measure the filter threads. Whichever model the lens is, it's going to be a readily available filter size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's right David, late model 55mm through 250mm took 67mm filters. The 19mm, 35mm, 40mm, and the 500mm took different size filters. I don't know if it is still true, but the chrome lens taking 67mm filters used to be a really good buy. Most folks didn't know that Kowa upgraded the lens line while still building chrome bodies (but not a whole lot of them). The chrome and black lens that accept 67mm filters are identical formula in design. The earlier chrome lens with the big filters were not considered as good as the later models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PDH, maybe there was something built, even earlier? that I may not have literature for. I think this is the extent of it, I did a lot of research on Kowa 2 1/4's before buying in the day. Should have kept them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin