Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,757   Online: 936

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    depends on the camera, too -- for example, i was handholding 1/30 with a speed graphic a bit ago (127mm lens) and the images came out fine -- the shutter is small, and has blades, so the force of the shutter surrounds the center of the lens and pretty much damps itself. The blades are small and light, so very little mass pushing the camera this way or that. Plus the mass of the camera prevents vibration.

a 645 -- does that have a mirror? If so, that's a lot of mass slamming around. Get thee a monopod and be happy.
    No mirror in the GA645, it's a rangefinder. A monopod would suck the life out of a GA645. It's built to be a p & s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to shoot colour, try Portra 400, ISO 400 (or greater) speed, but grain more like a ISO 100 film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The leaf shutter in the GA645 makes 1/30 fairly easy to pull off as long as your technique is solid - one of the reasons I love that camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'm wondering what would be a good minimum shutter speed for the GA645 Fuji camera. I recently got back some film and found many super soft images, with nothing much in good focus. I think I might be too liberal with what shutter speeds I can get away with, with this camera. It's got a 65 mm lens and I go well under 1/60 sec in shutter speeds. At what speed should I try to maintain to make certain that camera shake is not really probable?

Thanks!
    Is your problem one of focus, or camera motion? The type of unsharpness is quite different. Motion will give double or smeared edges, almost always in one direction. Poor focus will give a general diffuse image, but something, either in the backgroud or foreground will usually be sharp.

A thirtieth is on the slow side; it's certainly doable with practice and good technique but I'd use a tripod at that speed if I wanted to be sure of good negatives. I try to stay in the 1/125 and up range, and that's with any camera handheld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is 1/30th sec too slow for GA645?

I can sometimes shoot "acceptable" images at 1/30th with extreme care (leaning on a post or something) but do expect them to be perfectly sharp. But for critical sharpness or when I expect to be doing some enlarging I try not to ever got below 1/125th regardless the focal length and follow the old 1/focal length for lens longer than 100mm.

About 10 years ago at a multi-day photo workshop there were a number of participants boasting about hand holding down to 1/30 or even 1/15. Their chromes on the light table later in the week proved otherwise.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I can sometimes shoot "acceptable" images at 1/30th with extreme care (leaning on a post or something) but do expect them to be perfectly sharp. But for critical sharpness or when I expect to be doing some enlarging I try not to ever got below 1/125th regardless the focal length and follow the old 1/focal length for lens longer than 100mm.

About 10 years ago at a multi-day photo workshop there were a number of participants boasting about hand holding down to 1/30 or even 1/15. Their chromes on the light table later in the week proved otherwise.
    (*snicker*) Yes, I've had similar experiences.
    I have uncommonly steady hands, I work on tiny things, I shoot target rifles offhand, I know how to hold the camera steady with breathing and etc... I use a tripod or monopod when I want the sharpest images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently I've been using a tripod for all my shots.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Is your problem one of focus, or camera motion? The type of unsharpness is quite different. Motion will give double or smeared edges, almost always in one direction. Poor focus will give a general diffuse image, but something, either in the backgroud or foreground will usually be sharp.

A thirtieth is on the slow side; it's certainly doable with practice and good technique but I'd use a tripod at that speed if I wanted to be sure of good negatives. I try to stay in the 1/125 and up range, and that's with any camera handheld.

I don't know, that is why I am asking about shutter speed. I think of the GA645 as a 35mm lens camera, so tend to shoot with slow shutter speeds. However, the lens is in reality a 65mm one so I might be over doing it with my slowness. Here are a few examples. The monochrome image has light leak as the roll did not wind properly for some reason. But you can see that nothing is in focus. I dont have the shutter speeds used for these in front of me right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try setting your camera to shutter speed priority and work with various shutter speeds to see at which settings you get reliably sharp pictures.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This one worries me. SHot in very bright sunlight, yet nothing is sharp. Bad s**n?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin