Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,681   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is 1/30th sec too slow for GA645?

I'm wondering what would be a good minimum shutter speed for the GA645 Fuji camera. I recently got back some film and found many super soft images, with nothing much in good focus. I think I might be too liberal with what shutter speeds I can get away with, with this camera. It's got a 65 mm lens and I go well under 1/60 sec in shutter speeds. At what speed should I try to maintain to make certain that camera shake is not really probable?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on your technique mostly. I find 1/30th just fine on a 35mm range finder, but on my 6x6 range finder, I get shaky images. Obviously try to keep speeds as high as you can, 1/60 or faster. Also, try steadying techniques like pushing camera against your face a bit for steadiness, squeeze the shutter button, rather than push/jab. Also try even regulating your breathing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As the previous post says, it depends a lot on your technique, but using a 35mm camera hand held with a 50mm lens, I try and use 1/125 as much as possible.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Ratty, you might consider using a monopod to help stabilise your shots. Alternatively, BRASS: Breathe, Relax, Aim, Slowly Squeeze

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was younger and shooting weddings for a living, 1/30 of a second was a snap. Not so today, I now use a mono-pod or tripod for my shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Getting slow shutter speeds hand held, and sharp, is about technique too, but there is also a difference in how steady people's hands are.

Many people say that as long as you stay with 1/focal length of lens, (1/50th s for 50mm lens, etc), you will get reasonably sharp images. I use breathing techniques where I inhale and exhale about half of the way, I brace my arms against my body as much as possible, I relax, and try to do everything that I can, but I can't for the life of me get sharp pictures that way. I even bought a fancy shutter release button that threads into the cable release socket to aid my very large hands in not jerking the camera too much when I release the shutter. It doesn't work.
    I may get lucky and get some pictures sharp that way, but I have to be at 1/125th s when shooting with a 50mm lens, or I just will not reliably get a sharp negative.

I think it's about finding your own personal limit, and using proper technique while practicing a lot. What you find might entail that you need to use a monopod, or some other aid to help you with longer shutter times.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 01-04-2013 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    depends on the camera, too -- for example, i was handholding 1/30 with a speed graphic a bit ago (127mm lens) and the images came out fine -- the shutter is small, and has blades, so the force of the shutter surrounds the center of the lens and pretty much damps itself. The blades are small and light, so very little mass pushing the camera this way or that. Plus the mass of the camera prevents vibration.

a 645 -- does that have a mirror? If so, that's a lot of mass slamming around. Get thee a monopod and be happy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Apart from the suggestions given, try a faster film if your current one regularly requires 1/30 or even 1/60th and the negs are fuzzy. Even with D3200 grain won't be a problem unless the prints are very large. Better a little grain than fuzziness.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a Fuji GA645 and use it a lot. It's a lightweight camera and has little mass to counteract the shooter's tremors. You have to be pretty careful when shooting slower than 1/60. The shutter firing is very smooth and doesn't move the camera much, if at all. It's all down to holding it steady and firing with a smooth and light action.

sc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Apart from the suggestions given, try a faster film if your current one regularly requires 1/30 or even 1/60th and the negs are fuzzy. Even with D3200 grain won't be a problem unless the prints are very large. Better a little grain than fuzziness.

pentaxuser
    Yes, I intend to do that. I mostly shoot Acros and Reala, ISO100 film. Now I have some Delta 3200, which is a HUGE step up there, so I should get a better idea what the camera can do at better shutter speeds.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin