Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,936   Online: 1005

Shooter
    35mm

Wobbly Film Rewind Crank on Mamiya 645E.

I haven't used my Mamiya 645E for quite some time now, but I decided to start using it again. I removed the rapid-wind grip and placed the standard rewind crank lever on in an effort to reduce size. I noticed that the rewind crank lever seems wobbly. I don't remember it being so wobbly in the past. I double checked to see if I had snapped it in correctly, but that did not solve the problem. I also checked to see if there was some loose screw in the lever itself but could not find any. Anyone else have any issues with there rewind crank levers? Would buying another crank lever solve the issue?

Shooter
    Medium Format

me

i have a pro tl body... the rewind crank isn't at all wobbly. because of the shutter speed dial there is only one way to get the winder or the crank on, so it is really foolproof, (thank god).

with the 645e that doesn't seem to be the case - is it possible it's not seated properly? did you ever use it - maybe it's for another 645? is it the locking mechanism, or the winder? since the 645es was a "specialized package" from mamiya (see ken rockwell site) is it possible it had a unique mechanism?

i'm guessing and some thoughts that i'm sure you've had... but might lead you somewhere...

jvo

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not know that a type 120 camera employs a re-wind crank...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure you took off the connector that permits use of the rapid winder? As I understand it, that is only used with the rapid winder.

And don't lose the connector - apparently they are hard to replace.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i have a pro tl body... the rewind crank isn't at all wobbly. because of the shutter speed dial there is only one way to get the winder or the crank on, so it is really foolproof, (thank god).

with the 645e that doesn't seem to be the case - is it possible it's not seated properly? did you ever use it - maybe it's for another 645? is it the locking mechanism, or the winder? since the 645es was a "specialized package" from mamiya (see ken rockwell site) is it possible it had a unique mechanism?

i'm guessing and some thoughts that i'm sure you've had... but might lead you somewhere...

jvo

I think I snapped it in correctly. I tried several times but still I get the wobble. The film advance crank looks like it has three parts; the small handle, the flat round piece the handle attaches to and the larger ring that connects to the body. The wobble is coming from the flat round piece that is between the small handle and the larger body attachment ring.

I remember using this film advance crank when I first purchased the camera years ago; I don't remember it feeling so wobbly. I'm wondering if it is either a "push/snap/turn" issue needed to get it to set properly or if there is some screw broken/missing?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I did not know that a type 120 camera employs a re-wind crank...
    My apologies, meant to say "Film Advance Crank". Thank you for pointing it out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Are you sure you took off the connector that permits use of the rapid winder? As I understand it, that is only used with the rapid winder.

And don't lose the connector - apparently they are hard to replace.
    Thanks Matt!

I did take off the connector for the rapid winder; otherwise the film advance crank can't be attached. The interesting thing is that the rapid wind grip works without a problem. The problem seems to be only with the film advance crank.

I did place the connector in a safe place though!

Shooter
    35mm
    Problem solved!!! There were three loose screws that held the advance lever part to the base that connects to the camera. To access the internal screws I had to remove the outer screws of the film advance lever. I tightened two out of the three internal screws (third one wouldn't thread for some reason), and now I have no more wobble!

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin