Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hasselblad 1600F shutter release problem

I recently acquired a nice Hasselblad 1600F with the 75mm Ektar. The problem is when winding it, the mirror flips down, which is normal, but at the end of the winding of each frame, the mirror flips back up and the shutter releases, without even my having touched the shutter release button.

The shutter speeds seem accurate and the focal plane shutter curtains are not damaged.
    The small red/white window which indicates that the shutter is cocked or uncocked never turns red, indicating cocked.
    I guess that's why the shutter release button does nothing at all.

Any ideas?
    Is this something that is a relatively easy fix?
    If not, who can you recommend to service a Hasselblad 1600F?

Hasselblad no longer services these vintage cameras and my own repairman has no experience with focal plane Hasselblads.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1000F  .jpg   1000F .jpg   1000F.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you in the U.S., UK or elsewhere? That will help people make recommendations for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Essex Camera (camerarepair.com) in New Jersey. They might be able to help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm located in NJ, USA.
    Thanks for the Essex Camera lead.
    I'll call them.
    Any other suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad repair is in New Jersey. I do not know if they will still work on 1600Fs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about David Odess? I have read others recommending him.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jeff: I wrote to David Odess, as you suggested. Here is his reply:

Karl,
    I'm sorry, but I do not service the 1600F camera bodies. It is my
    understanding that there is nobody in this country who still services them.

Regards,
    David Odess
    www.david-odess.com

I guess I'm out of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one that wouldn't work. I took it apart and got to the innards and messed around with it until I had it about 80 percent working. At this point you have little to lose. Once I had the body working the Ektar lens was outstanding.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi there. This sounds like the pronged clutch is not engaging properly - please see my website http://kiev88.atwebpages.com/page3.htm and scroll down to 'Shutter curtains', see the left hand image with the red circle. Now you can actually see this if you remove the lens and very slowly wind the shutter. There is a lever in the winding gear which presses the prongs of the clutch together - you should be able to see it happening. The Salyut camera is a clone of the Hasselblad 1600F and works in exactly the same way. Sadly the mechanism wears with time and this is a classic symptom. The lever in the winding gear has a follower on it which follows a cam under the winding knob - if this wears the clutch is not fully engaged (there is a click latch which snaps into place, and is unfastened when the shutter releases). Any attempt to dismantle will likely end in disaster - I have replaced this very component in my Salyut and it took a huge amount of time to get it back together/working correctly.

Cheers,

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Steve: Is it worth repairing? If it is the clutch, could it be repaired and how much would you estimate that it would cost? Obviously, any estimate that you make is subject to inspection, but I'm curious.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin