Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,324   Online: 744

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folders with rangefinders tend to be quite expensive, but accessory rangefinders can be found cheap, and learning to scale focus is a good exercise (it actually isn't all that hard if you aren't close up or wide open). I'm a fan of Nettars, which are basically low-spec versions of the Ikonta---they're dirt cheap and they were built like tanks.

And yes, TLRs are profoundly wonderful. The most common good ones in your price range seem to be the various flavors of Yashica; you might score a Rolleicord as well. Either is capable of excellent performance. The Mamiyas have a fantastic reputation but I've never shot one personally.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Whiteymorange-

I haven't yet asked if it's been CLA'd. It comes with the 80mm lens.

There is also a Minolta Autocord for $100 that comes with some filters (ad was not specific). The ad suggests that it's just been sitting around for a while, so I doubt it's been CLA'd either.

Lastly, There's a 124G also listed for $100. Ad says that camera "works perfectly", but I have not asked about a CLA.

It seems to me that the 124G might be the best buy right now, especially if it doesn't need any more money thrown into it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd actually have quite a bit of options if you don't mind ugly looking camera and have $250 to spend. Very user Mamiya 645 and Bronica are quite available and in your price range. You may even be able to buy old RBs. If you buy from places like KEH, you can get a fully functional camera with a warranty. Unless you like TLR and that particular camera, I don't see a need to jump-in. By the way, Rolleicord and other TLRs are in that price range too....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    You'd actually have quite a bit of options if you don't mind ugly looking camera and have $250 to spend. Very user Mamiya 645 and Bronica are quite available and in your price range. You may even be able to buy old RBs. If you buy from places like KEH, you can get a fully functional camera with a warranty. Unless you like TLR and that particular camera, I don't see a need to jump-in. By the way, Rolleicord and other TLRs are in that price range too....
    I've looked at picking up an RB67 kit, but I'm worried about the backs needing to have their light seals replaced, and lenses add up. I've never replaced light seals before and don't really want to dump extra cash into a system to get it functional. Ideally, I would buy a proven set up from someone here, but it doesn't seem like many full kits come up in the classifieds.

I could care less what the camera looks like, or what condition it's in, so long as it's fully functional. I do not want a 645 neg; 6x6 and 6x7 are what I'm looking at hard right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's true for most cameras in that vintage. Light seals are the first thing to go. TLRs and folders all have (well, most do) seals. Don't let that scare you though.... they are easily do-able. You can buy a kit with instructions and do it yourself really cheaply and in few hours.

Right now, someone is selling 6x6 in APUG classified. You might want to go look at it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    That's true for most cameras in that vintage. Light seals are the first thing to go. TLRs and folders all have (well, most do) seals. Don't let that scare you though.... they are easily do-able. You can buy a kit with instructions and do it yourself really cheaply and in few hours.

Right now, someone is selling 6x6 in APUG classified. You might want to go look at it.
    I've sent him a PM already

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really, nice MF outift do appear cheaply from time to time here. Just keep looking and you'll run into one. Sometimes, it's hard to NOT buy it because it's cheap. (and stop yourself realizing you already have a few)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Actually, it's uncommon for German folding cameras to have light seals. In fact, almost never.

With a $350 budget, you have a lot of options. You can get anything from a nice Rolleiflex or Rolleicord to a folding camera with a built-in rangefinder.

You probably could pick up a Zeiss Ikon Mess Ikonta 524/16 (6x6) with a Tessar. Or possibly an Agfa Isolette III with a Solinar. Make sure that both have been serviced.

I'm not up on the Japanese medium format cameras, so I won't offer any thoughts on those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could have a look at a Moscov from KMZ if you want a cheap folder with a range finder. Personally I would go for a TLR though. They are not that much bigger and they are light and easy to work with. I find it easier to compose a picture on a screen than through a very old viewfinder (my personal opinion).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Super Ricohflex might not be a bad idea and you would have plenty of money left over for film and chemistry. Sweet TLR at bargain price.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin