Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,556,004   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shutter, aperature wheels don't turn on Rollei 3.5F

This is the first Rollei I've handled. I can't get the exposure wheels to turn. Do you have to have film in to do that? The camera came from KEH and everything is suppose to be working. Also, which position is the shutter release lock suppose to be in, to lock the shutter? It doesn't matter if I push the release lever down and under the lens, or up to the side of the lens, the shutter still trips. The shutter release doesn't automatically spring back up after I push it down. It stays down or sluggishly returns (comes out). Is this normal?

I've read through a manual I found for the camera online, but it wasn't a whole lot of help for my questions.

Thanks for any help.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By "exposure wheels" I infer you mean the two small wheels between the lenses for setting aperture and shutter speed. Yes, those should move regardless of whether there's film in the camera, or whether the shutter is cocked, or anything else. They can get stiff with age and lack of cleaning of the mechanism, but you should be able to budge them.

As for the shutter release lock, there should be a couple of little pictures next to the release button showing an arrow pointing downward. Move the lever next to the picture that shows the arrow passing through the curved line below it (i.e. the curved line represents a block on the travel of the release button). If the shutter fires when the lever is in either position, the lock isn't working.

The shutter release button should spring back -- probably gummed up (like everything else you described).

This is too bad -- sounds like you've got a lemon. I'd tell KEH the problems and send it back to them -- maybe they'll fix it, or refund your money. Would they give you a partial refund and let you keep it? If so, a good CLA should take care of it -- Krimar could do that quickly for beween $300 and $400, and you'll have a terrific camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 3.5F, both wheels should turn. It doesn't matter if there is fim or not. sounds like you have a problem with that. I agree with Merritt, slow return on shutter release, meaning it's gummed up. Probaly needs a good CLA. You have some decision to make.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure. It looks like the shutter lock is broken, the wheels that set aperture and shutter are stuck and it needs a CLA. Looks like it's going back.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or have KEH do and CLA and a repair on it. Otherwise get another one from them.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might use a drop of 3in1 oil on them.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wouldn't do ANY work on a Rollei unless you absolutely know what you're doing and you are planning on keeping the camera. They're beautiful machines, but they're fiddly, and I would not want to risk having a vendor void their return privilege because you tinkered with the camera.

Call KEH and ask them to either: service the camera or refund your money. They're well worth having serviced, it's just a question of logistics and whether it's simpler to just return this one and find another.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    there were several types of 3,5 F cameras. The first model had something like a EV-locking device between both wheels and a concentric "key" to unlock this lock amd turn the other wheel. The customers were not happy with this (I can understand this becuse I have one) and then Rollei introduced a little differential gear and both wheel can be turned independently. But compared to an older Flex without cross-coupled exposure meter you have to turn with a little more power. Maybe the lubricants of your camera are gummed and you should invest in a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. I've contacted KEH and I'm returning the camera for a refund.
    --
    Kenton Brede

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin