Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,073   Online: 934

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting into MF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei sheet film holders are pretty but I'm not sure if they are of any practical use. Apart from the Zone System, I can't find a good reason why anyone would like to torture himself with using sheet film smaller than 4x5.

In my experience it's not the screen that is dim in some Rolleicords/-flexes, but the mirror that has partly desilvered. The stock screens present in later Rolleis (at least from the 'Cord V) come with a Fresnel and they are quite bright, but what is more important: contrasty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the lens is doing from f/5.6 then I do not worry much about having a cord...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Rolleicord

I once owned a Rolleicord with a Schneider Xenar 3.5 lens and I would suggest it is much better value for money than a Rolleiflex. Having said that I’m sure many Rolleiflex owners would disagree, but lens speed isn’t everything.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    If the lens is doing from f/5.6 then I do not worry much about having a cord...
    I didn't even know you could plug them in!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I once owned a Rolleicord with a Schneider Xenar 3.5 lens and I would suggest it is much better value for money than a Rolleiflex. Having said that I’m sure many Rolleiflex owners would disagree, but lens speed isn’t everything.
    Having both, I'd agree with you. The Planar/Xenotar lenses certainly are sharper, especially wide open, but you pay a lot more for an advantage that in most circumstances isn't enormous. (And the speed difference is less than a stop; it's nice to have but it's not *that* big a deal by itself.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Having both, I'd agree with you. The Planar/Xenotar lenses certainly are sharper, especially wide open, but you pay a lot more for an advantage that in most circumstances isn't enormous. (And the speed difference is less than a stop; it's nice to have but it's not *that* big a deal by itself.)
    x2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also found one Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar(first model). Any experience with this lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleiflex T and am very satisfied with it (though the shutter needs some service now). The lens is pretty sharp when stopped down. I also have a Planar 80/2,8 for my SL66 and do not think they are much apart. The T is prone to stray light if you shoot against the sun but I think all Rolleis before the introduction of HFT were.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally I picked up a Rolleicord Va for EUR 88. Hope it is not a bad deal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This sounds like a good deal indeed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin