Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,747   Online: 872

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaŽl View Post
    On the low light, that is true. It's just a point a made, but maybe a useless point. Sorry for that.
    Maybe me learning to use a flash could do wonders
    I suppose it depends on what you consider "low", and how fast your film is and how much you're willing to push (remembering that grain is less of a concern in MF than in 35mm). It's kind of unusual to find a medium-format lens faster than f/2.8, but f/2.8 at 1/50 will get you to a fairly low light level with reasonable parameters, I think. The shallow depth of field becomes a challenge, but there's nothing wrong with the occasional challenge.

About the Pentax 645 is not my taste, it's very bulky unpractical looking. I'd take a Pentax 67 any time over the 645.
    I've never shot one, but I handled one in a store and the Pentax 67 is *big*. There are people who handhold them, and there are people who say that the people who handhold them are insane, and I guess it would be good to find out which group you fall into before spending that much money on one...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format

About the Pentax 645 is not my taste, it's very bulky unpractical looking. I'd take a Pentax 67 any time over the 645.
    I think the pentax 67 is for a future purchase.

You really need to hold these cameras in your hands. You can't really go by the way they look.

I have owned all three of the Pentax 645 film cameras (645, 645N and 645Nll). A very good friend of mine owns the Pentax 67 with the wooden grip. Yes, the 645 cameras are bulky compared to small 35mm cameras but they are no where near as big, heavy and bulky as the Pentax 67. I used to own a Mamiya RZ67 with the flash grip. I would rather hand hold it using the waist level finder then to hand hold a Pentax 67 with pentaprism finder. Throw the metered prism finder onto the RZ and I might rather hand hold the Pentax 67.

I own a Hasselblad 500cm with 80mm lens. It's light and a joy to hand hold (at least for me). I mostly use the waist level finder. If the Hassy is beyond your budget then you might look at the Bronica SQ series. Bronica lenses are also very sharp!

Just something more to consider.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's just the formfactor that doesn't seem handy to me.
    I think there is a significant difference between the Rangefinder MF's and for instance the mamiya rz67.

I think Fuji Gs645s is the winner since it won't make any focus noises etc. Unless someone says the Fuji Ga645 is better option.
    So if someone doesn't like his Fuji anymore

Shooter
    Large Format
    A significant difference between the Rangefinder MF's and an RZ? Boy, is that an understatement!

A used Fuji Rangefinder may be what you need. Just remember that if you buy it right used and discover that it's just not for you and later sell, you will most likely get most of your money back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Normally, I'd suggest a Hasselblad, but it sounds like you want to hold the camera to your eye, rather that look at ground glass?

If so, reconsider a folder, certo6.com does refurbished ones, and they are way better than the price would suggest. I was after a GF670 but instead "settled" for a Zeiss Super Ikonta III. I quickly realised I did not settle at all, and got a beautiful camera.

TLRs are great if you don't mind ground glass, 300 euros will buy you a surprisingly nice Rolleiflex, which are just beautiful cameras.

Bronica RF645 may be beyond budget, but they are small, and highly modern, if you like the idea of built in meters, aperture priority modes etc.

If you're shooting C41 negative film, I find meters are largely optional, but it's a personal choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MaŽl, I see that you preference is a rangefinder vs a reflex camera. I have the Fuji 6x9 "Texas" Leica and it is a beast but virtually indestructible. The downsisde is film cost: 8 shots per roll. I also have one of the smaller Fuji's--the GS645 folder. It's not to everyone's liking (bellows prone to pinholes and a somewhat delicate film transport mechanism) but if you find one in good shape it's a winner. Excellent optics, small & compact while giving an outstanding image. It's priced a bit less than the later Fuji GA series. Another consideration would be a Mamiya 645 Super or Pro model with eye level prism. Although not a rfdr, it has the advantage of low cost and interchangealbe lenses & backs (if you need). Set up with a prism it's heavier than the Fuji series but if you've been looking at the Mamiya Press series it's far more manageable. Just some suggestions...

Shooter
    35mm
    The Fuji GW690II is also in the running I found someone selling for around 350-400. I think thats a good deal, prices tend to be higher right?
    The Gs645s is maybe more my ABC. But like someone said, if you sell it again you will get (all/most) of your money back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fuji GW690II is also in the running I found someone selling for around 350-400. I think thats a good deal, prices tend to be higher right?
    The Gs645s is maybe more my ABC. But like someone said, if you sell it again you will get (all/most) of your money back.
    I recently purchased a GW690 I. Great camera but realize that it is somewhat heavy and wouldn't fall into the category of a "carry around camera". The GS645s would be the better camera due to it's smaller size and more frames per roll--15 vs 8.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I use 35mm for shooting in low light. Faster lenses and greater DOF for the same field of view usually means that I can get away with slower film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For low weight, med. format, good performance at low shutter speed, and perhaps a F:2.8 lens, I would choose a TLR from Rollie or Yashica. YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin