Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,883   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=tkamiya;1445613

I always wonder why, when seller says he/she checked the gear but still offer no guarantees.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't buy from those people either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    $350 sounds like a lot for an RB-67. I feel that used pro gear CAN be a good bargain if it was used properly and cared for. At my level of usage, high mileage gear in good shape could have a lot of life left in it, but for professional use it might be shot.

On a related topic, I recently bought a Mamiya 645 1000S. What is the proper series of Mamiya lenses for this camera. I'm becoming confused! I received an 80 and 45mm with the kit and would like to add a 150 or 210mm.

-- Jason
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    On a related topic, I recently bought a Mamiya 645 1000S. What is the proper series of Mamiya lenses for this camera. I'm becoming confused! I received an 80 and 45mm with the kit and would like to add a 150 or 210mm.

-- Jason
    Jason:

This seems like a great subject for its own thread - one that might attract 645 users (I'd be happy to chime in there).

On the subject of professionally used RB67s, I would point out three things in their favour:

1) they are built like tanks to start with;
    2) many were used exclusively in the studio, and were therefore not exposed to the elements and other hand-holding dangers;
    3) the RB67 system is designed to be repairable; and
    4) as the RB67 is highly modular, and generally different versions of the component parts are compatible with older and newer versions, so it is relatively easy to replace just the portion of the system that is worn out, while continuing to use the rest.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    OK, New Thread!

Jason

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jason, If you personally know the pro photographer then you may be right. The problem is that when you buy gear from a pro that you don't know, you really don't have any idea how much life is left in it. It's kind of like buying a car that the body looks great but the valves are close to worn out in the engine. Maybe it's not smoking yet....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Agreed. Unless you REALLY know how it was used, buying used gear is always a crap shoot. Fortunately, in my experience, I have found that most cameras have been reasonably well cared for and the vast majority of sellers have represented their items fairly. But, caveat emptor (spelled right? IDK!) always applies.

-- Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hm, so general consesus would be to pass up on this one I guess, or try to get some sort of guarantee out of the seller?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good guide of different models and their pros and cons can be found here: http://rb67.helluin.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, pass on this seller regardless of his guarantee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were going to do this, I would insist on 7 day return guarantee with full refund (less shipping) for any reason. If the seller does not agree to that, I'd skip it. Just one thing go wrong and you'll be spending additional few hundred dollars.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin