Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,485   Online: 930

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Fastest MF camera to load?

For me, the mamiya 7 is the fastest non-interchangeable-back loading. Compared to other cameras I've used, the spools pop in and out very easily. If I'm out with the hasselblad and shoot multiple rolls of a couple of film types, I'm not going to carry multiple backs for each film, so eventually I'll have to reload a back, and it may not occur at the most opportune moment... So loading speed is still a factor for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format

How about the SLOWEST? :)

My vote for the SLOWEST is the Pentax 6x7/67. I love it dearly, but.

As for fastest, carrying a whole bunch of sheet film holders for a baby Graflex (Century Graphic) can be pretty fast, especially if you have an assistant or really huge coat pockets. At least in comparison with the roll film back which takes a lot of winding to advance the frame.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    being left one-handd, this is an interesting subject to me. however, i'm afraidthe answer is 'digital!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbjornda View Post
    My vote for the SLOWEST is the Pentax 6x7/67. I love it dearly, but.
    The good thing about the Pentax 67 is that you don't have to take it off the tripod to load it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j_landecker View Post
    For me, the mamiya 7 is the fastest non-interchangeable-back loading. Compared to other cameras I've used, the spools pop in and out very easily. If I'm out with the hasselblad and shoot multiple rolls of a couple of film types, I'm not going to carry multiple backs for each film, so eventually I'll have to reload a back, and it may not occur at the most opportune moment... So loading speed is still a factor for me.
    I carry both black & white film backs and color film backs. Sometimes I will take a composition with both backs. I spent a week at Yosemite at the beginning of December one year. I was only planning of shooting color, but it had just snowed and after shooting a few scenes in color, I ended up shooting only black & white the rest of the time. I have some fantastic photographs from that trip. Be prepared for anything and wonderful opportunities arise.

Also when I am using the Hasselblad I already have the 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm lenses, the filters, close-up rings, 2X adapter and a 903 SWC available. How much more trouble does it take to have an extra film back too?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fastest MF camera to load?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The Hasselblad is the fastest. You swap one back for the next back which you had already loaded.

By the way, after a while you learn load a roll of film quickly without swapping backs.
    Yeah I agree with this nothing faster on the fly. Otherwise my Fuji GA645 loads pretty quickly.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Great responses.

About swapping out the backs. First, I would rather not have to buy extra backs. They're quite cheap, yes, but, many of one adds up. Seems like there are a few people on here who have ten lenses, five bodies, and all the trimmings--but that aint me.

Second, it certainly is fast to swap out the backs, but they have to be loaded sooner or later. And yes, 20 seconds IS a long time for me--as I suspect it is for many. It's not that I'm impatient, per se (I'll wait hours to get a shot), it's just that this is one area where I would rather be doing something else.

Third, those Hassy backs are bulky as all hell. I like to roll with just one camera, one lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I have owned a Mamiya C330 and I have two Hasselblads. It is faster to swap backs on a Hasselblad than load a C330. Furthermore one can change film types mid-roll on a Hasselblad without wasting a frame or the rest of the roll. The Mamiyia C330 is much more fiddlely requiring flipping from one side to the other to set and cock some of the lenses. There is no such nonsense with a Hasselblad.
    As regular APUG visitors will know, Sirius and his C330 did not get along well with each other, whereas he and his Hasselblads have bonded like family.

I'm just the opposite - when I used to sell cameras, I found the Hasselblad 500C awkward and difficult to handle and use.

Isn't it great that we have choices!

By the way, I think advocating for a camera with interchangeable backs in response to the OP's question is cheating .

And I can load my C330 faster than I can load the backs and inserts for either my Mamiya 645 Pro or my Mamiya RB67 - not much faster, but still faster.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    being left one-handd, this is an interesting subject to me. however, i'm afraidthe answer is 'digital!
    Ralph:

I'm mostly left one-handed.

I have a bit of dexterity in my right hand (I can work the film crank on my cameras, but cannot accurately adjust shutter speeds or apertures).

A Mamiya C330 or 645 Pro with a left hand trigger grip works well for me.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ralph:

I'm mostly left one-handed.

I have a bit of dexterity in my right hand (I can work the film crank on my cameras, but cannot accurately adjust shutter speeds or apertures).

A Mamiya C330 or 645 Pro with a left hand trigger grip works well for me.
    Being able to focus with either the left or right focus knob probably works well for you, too.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin