Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,587   Online: 908

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Being able to focus with either the left or right focus knob probably works well for you, too.
    On the C330 and RB67, it certainly does!

For the 645 Pro, I like the focus assist lever on those lenses it fits on, because I can use that with my right hand.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j_landecker View Post
    For me, the mamiya 7 is the fastest non-interchangeable-back loading. Compared to other cameras I've used, the spools pop in and out very easily. If I'm out with the hasselblad and shoot multiple rolls of a couple of film types, I'm not going to carry multiple backs for each film, so eventually I'll have to reload a back, and it may not occur at the most opportune moment... So loading speed is still a factor for me.
    The Fujifilm GA645 would be even faster. The rolls pop out almost instantly and once the film is threaded, the autowinder does the rest of the job. VERY fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to say Mamiya 7, but that's because it's the only non-interchangeble back camera I own in Medium Format. I can load it faster than I can load my Leica and can do it with minimum fuss, standing, on the go, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonic View Post
    Great responses.

About swapping out the backs. First, I would rather not have to buy extra backs. They're quite cheap, yes, but, many of one adds up. Seems like there are a few people on here who have ten lenses, five bodies, and all the trimmings--but that aint me.

Second, it certainly is fast to swap out the backs, but they have to be loaded sooner or later. And yes, 20 seconds IS a long time for me--as I suspect it is for many. It's not that I'm impatient, per se (I'll wait hours to get a shot), it's just that this is one area where I would rather be doing something else.

Third, those Hassy backs are bulky as all hell. I like to roll with just one camera, one lens.
    You can't have everything, life is about compromise and you want the impossible, medium format photography is about a more leisurely and considered approach, you have a cannon not a machine gun, if 20 seconds is too long for you to reload and you need to reload M/F cameras far more times than 35mm ones and you don't want interchangeable backs then roll film isn't for you, I suggest you stay with 35 mm if you want to shoot film.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-14-2013 at 09:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A variation on the subject. What MF camera is easiest to load if you are standing and have no place to temporarily set down camera parts?

The Kodak Medalist.

You can simply hold the camera vertically, flip open the back so it hangs down, pop in the new roll, insert the tongue into the spool and turn the knob. If you try this with Rolleis and many other cameras you run the risk of dropping the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It used to be quite important when I shot weddings!
    You got me there. I shot a few weddings on medium format film and I just had 2 backs going and just made sure they did not run out together. Any down time i would be reloading the empty.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also thought that the pentax 6x7 was fast and easy to reload.

My rolleicord sometimes gives me problems getting the take up spool seated correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    The good thing about the Pentax 67 is that you don't have to take it off the tripod to load it.
    When I first got mine, I had to put it on the tripod just to load it. I didn't have enough hands otherwise. What a pain!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I confess I haven't read every post in this 4 page thread, but with regard to all the questions about needing to set the camera down while reloading while shooting handheld, all you need is a neck strap. I think every MF camera takes a little getting used to, but that's part of the fun. Certainly cameras with removable film backs take a little more work, but then you have the advantage of being able to use multiple backs and preload them at home. I was glad to see cjbecker's favorable comments about the P67. It has a reputation for being hard to load, but I've never found that to be true. You just have to spin the spool a bit until it is properly seated.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 4 MF cameras of different makes and, believe it or not, my pre-WW2 Baby Bessa is the easiest and fastest to load. Voigtlaender's design used swinging half-cylinder holders for the film spools that line up the feeding roll perfectly with the film-advance sprocket. Works like a dream.
    Otherwise not up to Hasselblad or Mamiya standards, however!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin