Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,731   Online: 866

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Fastest MF camera to load?

Hey Guys, new here, but been shooting my beloved Bessa for years.

Im looking to get into MF. The only camera I've used thus far was a hasselblad. And what a pain that was to load. Which body would you say allows the users to snap in a roll and get shooting the fastest? I'm thinking maybe a Mamiya 7, but, I don't really know, and this is one thing that spec lists don't cover.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd think any camera without a separate back would be quickest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Baby Speed or Crown Graflex
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Baby Speed or Crown Graflex
    These take 120?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hasselblad is the fastest. You swap one back for the next back which you had already loaded.

By the way, after a while you learn load a roll of film quickly without swapping backs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have pre-loaded the insert then a P645n takes a few seconds only. Actually once you have done it a few times, loading a P645 insert in the field is quite quick as well. With most kinds of MF photography the time taken to load a film isn't crucial.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Mamiya 645 Pro I had was very fast to reload if you had extra inserts loaded ahead of time. It also allowed quickly switching backs. The Hasselblad is fast to switch backs, but doesn't use interchangeable inserts. Both are a bit slow to load the film into the insert however.

The Mamiya 7 is kind of like loading a big 35mm SLR. It's not fast, but not too slow either (probably about a minute to load new film, but I haven't timed it). You get the hang of the all of these cameras and with practice you can get pretty fast.

The cameras with interchangeable backs are by far the fastest way to keep shooting, at least over span of a few rolls (assuming you buy a few backs or inserts and load ahead of time).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollei's are quick, the auto-sensing ones mean that you don't need to line up arrows, just get the tab onto the take-up spool and go.
    With practice you can reload a Hasselblad quickly, but they are a bit fiddley compared to many. One thing that helps a little if you aren't immediatly re-loading a Hasselblad is to switch the spools when you take the film out, that way the back is always ready for loading. (actually this is true for pretty much any roll film camera).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonic View Post
    These take 120?
    Yes, and in different formats, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, plus you can have several backs, interchangeable at any time, only seconds to change.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Mamiya C330 and the Mamiya C220 I used to have were simple and straightforward to load, and therefore very quick.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin