Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,365   Online: 1160

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

hasselblad advice

I know a guy with a hasselblad that I know for a fact hasnt been used in 20 years. Not exactly sure of the model - think 500c or similar. He knows I have a mild interest in it, although i've never tried to deal. Recently he half implied he might move it on. I haven't seen it. don't really need it, but it could be a bargain because he thinks it is probably not fit to use without a service, and i did agree with this when it was mentioned.

haven't got a clue how vulnerable a hassy is to age degradation, and how much of a risk it could be.

advice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

hasselblad advice

As much as any camera. All depends on how it was stored. If not in a musty, moist or humid environ then it could be fine with a full blown CLA. If kept in some garage or attic exposed to varying heat, cold and moisture over 20 years it could have serious mold, rust or fungus issues that would make it a bad deal at almost any price.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I know a guy with a hasselblad that I know for a fact hasnt been used in 20 years. Not exactly sure of the model - think 500c or similar. He knows I have a mild interest in it, although i've never tried to deal. Recently he half implied he might move it on. I haven't seen it. don't really need it, but it could be a bargain because he thinks it is probably not fit to use without a service, and i did agree with this when it was mentioned.

haven't got a clue how vulnerable a hassy is to age degradation, and how much of a risk it could be.

advice?
    I have no experience with hassies. I am a Rollei SLR man. I would check prices at KEH and on ebay and go from there. Buying used equipment is a bit of a crap shoot. Personally if something doesn't look Mint- or Excellent+ I don't buy it. There is plenty of stuff out there. I bought a 4x5 enlarger for $50 once. Before I made my first print on it I easily spent three times that much on lenses, negative carriers, filters, etc. The enlarger had rust in multiple places but everything in the optical path was good... besides the lenses. I actally felt bad about only giving the guy $50 for the entire enlarger setup, but once I busied myself getting it in optimal working order I started feeling $50 was too much!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hasselblads in the hands of professionals doing 100K exposures a year will need very frequent servicing. But it's not uncommon for a camera that gets regular use to work for 20 years or more before it gets it's first service. These are 2 extremes and most likely your camera would need new lightraps and mirror cushions, not expensive. Check the shutter speeds and put a film through it, have fun. I know people who still use 40 year old cameras with digital backs professionally.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    compur shutters on those things are very high-precision and, thus, a titch more vulnerable to age because any small problem due to dried oil or hardened grease can cascade ... the body is essentially a box, but the lenses/shutters will probably need service if you plan to use them seriously.

You would be wise to CLA the body, lenses and backs. 20 years is a long time to sit. Lubricants get stiff, light seals dry out, everything gets hard to work, and forcing dry parts to work leads to wear or other problems. If it is a 500 C, it's going to be 30+ years old, and may never have been serviced since it left the factory. It probably has an original viewing screen, which is not very bright compared to the Acute-Matte screens. Get the CLA done once, and you will be set for a decade. Use a camera that is out of adjustment, and you might have problems. Trust me on this - I found out the hard (expensive) way.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. All useful. Its probably about 25 years old - I remember him getting it. Its hardly been used - he just likes to buy "nice" things!, but it seems likely to need all seals etc replacing (which I would expect) plus probably a professional CLA, because I don't think I could tackle an in-lens compur. Just being prepared in case the guy does decide to let it go - as I say I don't really need it - and not going to push him, but want to be aware in case I need to do a quick deal!

The 500C was produced until 1970, so the camera is at least 42-43 years old. Your friend bought it used if it was new to him 25 years ago. There's nothing wrong with a well cared for 500C - they are built like a tank - but even tanks need some grease once in a while. A CLA for all components will cost you a couple of hundred pounds, so figure that into your price negotiations.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In that case it's not a 500C, but something a bit later. It was new 25 years ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is a great resource and should provide you with some more information. http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HS/HSTable.aspx

For the record when the 500CM was introduced the 500C badge was not updated straight away. So if the camera says 500C but has a interchangeable screen it is actually a 500CM.

VHPICTURES

Use this table to get the year of manufacture from the serial number.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin