Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1210

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film rebate not clear on Rollei

I ran a roll through the Rolleiflex I just bought from Krimar Photo. On the right hand side of the negative, there's a thin black line, maybe a millimeter thick, running down the entire edge. On a few frames there's a black blob that almost reaches the image negative. All other rebates are clear.

This doesn't appear to be an issue ATM but I'm afraid it might become one. I hate to ship the camera back to Krimar for repair. Is there an easy fix to this?

thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    If the line is right at the edge of the film, it could be just be fogging from a small light leakage down the edge of the film spool before or after the film was in the camera.

Could be simply that the backing paper was not quite lined up centrally on the spool (hence down one side of the film, with the "blobs" where the leakage was greatest) and/or the film loaded in bright light or allowed to stand in the light for too long.

It used to be a fairly common problem with box-type cameras having simple winding mechanisms, so you may like to check your loading method and the winding on your Rollei just to be sure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is it a dotted line. Like a sprocket ran on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would add make sure the film and paper are wound snugly on the spool before and after loading to help prevent this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Is it a dotted line. Like a sprocket ran on it.
    Nope, it's a continuous line.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. I will watch and be more careful with my loading next time. I've loaded my Mamiya RZ67 several times with no issues, so I just assumed it was the camera in error.
    Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To be certain, keep the film out of bright light after removing it from the camera. Most times I can leave an unprotected exposed roll of 120 on my desk, say, without any problems. But every now and then a roll shows what you describe.

I've never used an RZ67 but maybe the removal of the exposed spool is easier on its back? The Rolleiflex can be fiddly and can allow for a bit of unwinding of the film while oyu try to grab an edge and hold the spool knob out and such at the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    To be certain, keep the film out of bright light after removing it from the camera. Most times I can leave an unprotected exposed roll of 120 on my desk, say, without any problems. But every now and then a roll shows what you describe.

I've never used an RZ67 but maybe the removal of the exposed spool is easier on its back? The Rolleiflex can be fiddly and can allow for a bit of unwinding of the film while oyu try to grab an edge and hold the spool knob out and such at the same time.
    One thing, I don't have to pull as much paper out to get it on the take up reel. I just watched a video of a guy load a Rollei and he wound less paper onto the take up reel than I did. I wound until I saw the indicator arrow on the paper, and then closed the lid.
    --
    Kenton Brede

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some films (manufacturers0 are more prone to that kind of leakage than others. The major brands (Kodak, Ilford) are pretty good unless the spool is loose. Bergger was wicked in that respect -- I think they made their backing paper a tenth of a millimeter too narrow!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adox is (was) another with a big problem for fogging the edges of the film, the paper backing isn't very accurate like with Ilford, and the film would need to be loaded and unloaded in subdued light.

So there is a plan, load and unload in very subdued light. If the fogging has gone or is better you are closer to discovering the cause.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin