Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,667   Posts: 1,481,713   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way.... appreciate all the ideas and input. I'm quite baffled. I just cut off that part of film, laying it on various parts of the back. There's nothing that matches that profile.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess is that it is flare, and the source of it is outside the image area, but within the much larger 6x7 area of the RB67's optical path.

It is quite strong, and it appears to be piping past the edge of the image.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    645 back has an opening gate that is sized 6x4.5. It sounds plausible but I can't find the way how exposure can take place outside of the gate opening. This image was taken today and this particular one was under shade. The bright area behind it was water. Exposure was 1/250 and f/5.6. It wasn't particularly a bright day....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you think of any other operator induced error that can cause this? What bothers me really is there are 15 shots total. All other shots are entirely fine. Two more shots at this exact location right next to these two frames are fine, too. I'm going to run the test again tomorrow to see if the problem reproduces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found something.

There is a stainless steel roller where the film goes in. It is supposed to keep the film from unspooling. The top edge of the mysterious exposure matches with this piece. I had to load the film under shade but nevertheless outside. I wonder if the film got unspooled and buckled just so that this exposure took place when I loaded the film, and just happened to land where it did??

I just rolled the film back into the frame again and when the arrow is matched, frame 1 is just 4 layers behind the backing paper. With some light piping happening before frame 1, that may be the cause...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Am I mistaken in thinking I should be able to load 120 film in shade if I am careful?? I've done this on M645 and never an issue like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Am I mistaken in thinking I should be able to load 120 film in shade if I am careful?? I've done this on M645 and never an issue like this.
    You are not mistaken.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was right about something today. Oh, wait, that was yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did another test today.

Loaded the film in dim indoors, advanced the frames to 1, and removed the dark slide. When outside and shot all the frames. During the test, I rotated the back, inserted and removed the slide a few times to simulate typical usage. Condition outside was about two stops brighter than yesterday. I came inside and slid the dark slide in, removed the back, then removed the film.

There WAS a similar light leak but it was well ahead of the frame 1. There was some light piping from the edge but very minor. There was a little more light piping at the end which I assume it happened after the film was taken out of the camera.

So basically, it's good.

Questions to the larger audience....

1) Is this kind of result typical? I am not particularly new to MF. I had M645 Super and Pro before. I don't recall area ahead of frame 1 getting any exposure like this.

2) Above test was basically an ideal condition where I can load and unload film in dim indoor. That won't always happen in the field. Again, I don't recall this kind of problem with M645.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test2-1.jpg   test2-2.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin