Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,688   Online: 976

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to use a Rolleicord.....hard?

Hi. I use a Vb and really enjoy it. It was the last Rolleicord produced, and only one with a removable focus hood. You will need an exposure meter for slide films. The hood and filters are all Bayonet I fitting. You can fit a shutter release button to the cable release socket for an alternative to the standard release which you push horizontally to operate. To change aperture you hold the shutter speed control and push the aperture lever. If you don't, they move together. You do the reverse to change speed. This is simple, once you try it out. It is also a very lightweight camera to carry around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using a Rolleicord or Rolleiflex isn't hard. It takes a little bit of getting used to but, once you get the habit, no problem at all.

The thing you will learn when using a Rollei is to pay attention and to slow down. This will teach you to think about your pictures more.
    There are often no meters. When there are meters they aren't coupled. No automatic settings. Everything is manual. You have to meter separately and consider all the factors before clicking the shutter.

Use your Rollei, exclusively, for a while then when you go back to using your Pentax, you'll suddenly notice how your photography skills have improved!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but definitely read up on Rollei cameras. Between this thread and the one on another forum it is clear that you have an interest but may have done virtually no homework except ask a few questions on forums. The manuals are all out there on the internet for free. You can learn a lot about the ease-of-use by reading hte manuals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Rolleicord V for about a year. It's REALLY sharp and easy to use.

It's a simple camera.

Focus, set exposure, click. Wind, and repeat.

This of course assumes you are familiar with manually focusing lenses, know how to set shutter speed and aperture. If your prior experience is a modern camera with everything automated, I guess it'll be hard but it's not anything that's daunting even if that is the case. If you can use Pentax from 60s, you'll have no issues with any of this, I think.

You'll want a light meter though.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dare I suggest a Yashica Mat?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a simple enough camera. It forces you to slow down (manual focus, manual shutter adjustment, manual aperture, don't forget to advance the film, etc.). Oh yeah, and do all the above while tracking a moving object on the reversed image finder - well that's where it gets a little tricky.

Great camera.

If you carry an iPhone in your pocket, there's a good metering app out there called Light Meter. It seems plenty good and would save you from carrying a separate meter. Maybe not for the purists, though. But I like cheap solutions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    > How is a Rolleicord Vb to live with? Hard to use?

I have a Cord Vb and a Flex 3,5F as well. I cannot say that one of these is easier or harder to use. The Flex has a crank and film advancing is some fractions of a second faster. The most important difference lies in the lens: The 5 lens Planar is wide open sharper in the corners in comparision to the 4 lens Tessar. At f/8 I don't see any difference.
    The Vb has the bright finder groundglass which is very good. You have with that camara a piece of equipment which can service you the whole life.
    You need an exposure meter, I guess you know that.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I prefer the use of a rolleicord to a flex, I like the focusing on the right..
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Also if you took all my cameras away and I was left with one, I would be keeping my cord.
    Same here.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sounds like it is not going to be to bad.
    Thanks all for helping and thank you for the link, will download the information now.

Good day all.

Shooter
    35mm
    Slow down and take better photos, sounds good.
    And I find that right. I do take better, if I can say so, photos with the old camera than a new digital, with the digital I am to fast, or at least I used to take photos to fast.

Also, the meter, yes I know, so will get myself one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin