Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,688   Online: 990

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to use a Rolleicord.....hard?

Hello from Norway all.

Oh, for some years I have looked, and looked at the style of the TLR like Rollei cameras. They look just superb!
    Now I am using a Pentax SLR from the ´60`s. I am far, faaaar, from a good camera man, but trying and hope to get better.

How is a Rolleicord Vb to live with? Hard to use?
    I ask about the -cord, it is not so expensive. Guess it is because it has a bit lower quality. Or?

I am/will use the camera for landscape photos and maybe some family photos outside, kids and so.
    Something I need to look out for?
    Something/equipment I NEED to aid the handeling of the camera?

All tip, information is welcome.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The quality of construction was every bit as good as a Rolleiflex.

The price different isn't about quality. The Rolleicord is a simpler camera. Film loading is different, and you must tension the shutter manually. Advance the film by knob rather than by crank. And the top lens was a Xenar (Tessar-type), rather than a Planar or Xenotar. It also did not offer a meter as an option, which became available with the later Rolleiflexes.

You simply have to get used to working with a twin-lens reflex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To add to the good advice above:

1. Don't be cheap and think that you can always get away without having the camera professionally serviced if you want a reliable camera
    2. Get and use a lens hood
    3. Seriously consider a monopod and a Rolleifix quick release.

I have many years with a Rolleicord and find the Vb, especially, to be a simple and easy camera to use for capture of exceptional imagery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I prefer the use of a rolleicord to a flex, I like the focusing on the right. Also if you took all my cameras away and I was left with one, I would be keeping my cord.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    And the top lens was a Xenar (Tessar-type), rather than a Planar or Xenotar.
    Mike... I think you have a typo: 'top' should be 'taking'.

Edit: Unless you meant "top" as in "the most advanced lens of the entire Rolleicord line."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very simple to use. You can download the manual online. Outdoors, you don't need a meter as there are only about four different exposure values you need. With slide film, you probably want some sort of meter. Very light and portable. A real joy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rolleicord is easy to use. Some things about it would be different from what you are used to doing -- besides the obvious (reversed image; loading of 120 film), you need to wind and charge the shutter as two separate steps. And the shutter release is definitely different from the normal "push the button" as you have with your Pentax. But these are easy to get used to.

You will love the quality of the pictures. It's true that the Xenar lens, as a 4-element lens, is a "lesser" lens than the Planar or Xenotar of the later Rolleiflexes. But it is quite good indeed. As others have said, get a lens hood. I would recommend one of the Rolleinar close up lenses, particularly the Rolleinar 1, which lets you focus from 1 meter down to .5 meter. Very useful for closeups, including tight portraits. And of course you will want an exposure meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello all and thank you for all the reply`s.

Sounds like I can manage. I like to try.
    Did come over a Vb from -62, with a Xenar 3.5/75mm lens, if my memory is right.
    Will go and ask some more tomorrow.

But, I do not need a meter for outdoor photos? I am also looking to try and take slide film, maybe not so much, but still try it.

Lens hoods, is it the Rollei Bay I hood you mean? The camera comes with one and two filters, red and yellow.
    Other things that will help me?

Thank you all for taking time to guide a amateur on the right track.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a source for a manual, if you decide to get that or another camera.
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/
    I would recommend using a meter, even outdoors, if you will be using slide (transparency) film - or any other film, for that matter. It will be one less thing to wonder about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG. The Rolleicord Vb is an excellent camera and like any tool, the skill of the user is what matters most. The more you use it the better you will become. Good luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin