Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,553   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Barry Goldwater Statue

Hey guys,

I was watching something on news last weekend regarding Barry Goldwater. Later they created a bronze stature commerating his life towards carreer in the US Government. I noticed on the statue that he has a Rolleiflex camera strund on his shoulder. I did some research and found that he was a accomplished amatuer photographer. His go to camera was the Rollei. He must had this camera with him all the time to have incorperated in the statue concept. how cool.

ToddB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Check out "People and Places" I like his Navajo pictures. He was a good shooter.

Shooter
    35mm
    After reading this I went and checked out this website: http://www.barrygoldwaterphotographs.com/.

Some really cool stuff! Also he was interested in UFOs. Yes, wikipedia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kenklark View Post
    Check out "People and Places" I like his Navajo pictures. He was a good shooter.
    I know it is semantics, but a professor I had in 1986 beat it in our heads not to utter the word shoot. (not deriding above poster)
    Anyway, it is a state of mind, that Salgado and others will confirm. I guess semantically "shooter" get's in my craw and this was before Sandy Hook.
    I was interviewed a couple times in the past decade, and I hate reading "vincent shoots" ..." uses a ____ to shoot" "shoot film" etc.
    I do shoot a 12 ga shotgun for target... that is a different mindset.

Cheers, no deriding and say what is comfortable to you.
    BTW this professor also said "motor drives not permitted" It was 1986, I was a student and working photographer and he would not allow my motorized cameras in the classroom... and he was dead serious.

THanks for the Goldwater mention... off to look at his photographs (not shots) now.

Oh and the rest of the story, I photographed Goldwater in 1986... too young to know who he was, same for Noam Chomsky... wish I had a time machine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like his pictures!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I know it is semantics, but a professor I had in 1986 beat it in our heads not to utter the word shoot. (not deriding above poster)
    Anyway, it is a state of mind, that Salgado and others will confirm. I guess semantically "shooter" get's in my craw and this was before Sandy Hook.
    I was interviewed a couple times in the past decade, and I hate reading "vincent shoots" ..." uses a ____ to shoot" "shoot film" etc.
    I do shoot a 12 ga shotgun for target... that is a different mindset.

Cheers, no deriding and say what is comfortable to you.
    BTW this professor also said "motor drives not permitted" It was 1986, I was a student and working photographer and he would not allow my motorized cameras in the classroom... and he was dead serious.

THanks for the Goldwater mention... off to look at his photographs (not shots) now.

Oh and the rest of the story, I photographed Goldwater in 1986... too young to know who he was, same for Noam Chomsky... wish I had a time machine.

I am tinking you don't like snapshots either!
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... or "tog"

Shooter
    Multi Format

I think he was a ham.

I'm not positive of this, but I think Goldwater was also a ham radio operator. Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess we (me) should not worry too much about how we are talked about, but that we are at all.

I looked around at some of the Goldwater images.

I saw some technical aptitude, I did find the compositions for the most-part underwhelming to my tastes.
    There was a photo of an old Indian woman, some rocks, and a branch... I wanted to take the view and rearrange, felt almost there but not quite.

Now on the other hand the photos of "Undiscovered Vivian" seem so spot on, like those of Eisenstadt, and Carier-Bresson.

Again, OP thanks for the diversion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... or "tog"
    yep... (and I asked for it) (sorry I sidetracked the thread.. sort of)
    I don't care for verbal shorthand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin