Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,498   Online: 866

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, I was just browsing around KEH, and wondering the same thing...so should I?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here we go again.... I went through the exact thought process myself. Good luck in your decision!

Here's what helped me decide.

Make a list of what you want now (realistic list, please) and price it out for RB and RZ.
    Make a list of what you want in near future and price it out for both.
    Make a list of what you could want in a few years and price it out for both.

RZ is lighter than RB but not that much. 7 pounds per kit or 6 pounds per kit. Does it make any difference to you?
    RZ has more plastic than RB but does it matter that much? Probably not? They are both professional level equipment.
    Sure, RZ can accommodate a metered prism but can you afford it? I decided I don't want it.
    Everything else is just preference. Except for 50mm, you can pretty much get the same lens for either body.

Good luck!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yea, I'm really leaning much more toward the RB over the RZ. Its hard to not get sucked into "the next best thing" attitude. In reality, I'm not a pro. I don't make my living off of photography. I don't have a full studio where I will be doing portraits.

I think overall, the RB fits my style more than the RZ. The 35mm cameras I own are a Nikon F2, Canon F1, FTB and Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa. Very old by todays standards, but extremely well built all mechanical cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, let me ask you this....

Why do you want a medium format in the first place? What's your goal? Adding a new format to your current line up is a bit of commitment. You'll need different reels and enlarger lens, etc, not to mention a whole new set of lenses and accessories for your new gear. Then there is a choice of 645, 6x6, 6x7, and for RB, you can even go 6x8 with later bodies. I know this thread started with "found an RB on C/G for $200!" but is the price a prime motivator or do you have something specific in mind? RB and RZ are seriously heavy camera for hand-holding use. 645 is a lot easier. I don't want to further confuse you but I think this is an important consideration - your goal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Among some TLR's I've been eyeing, the Mamiya RB67's really have me for some reason.
    The RB67 is not a TLR (Twin lens). It's single lens. You look through the same lens that exposes the negative. Good luck with the RB67 if you buy it. I've found it's a very fine medium format camera system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At $200. it's about $100 less than KEH. It is your $$$.
    Around the Chicago area the set you show with ONE back goes for $300-$350. add another back and +$50. at least, likely more.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MY RB kit is a version of the axe which is as good as new (only 3 new handles and 2 new heads) all courtesy of KEH. It (the progenitor) was an impulse buy at a camera fair, well used and eventually experienced a jammed on lens and a stuck shutter.

The only part of the original remaining is one ground glass screen and the pop up finder shade. Via KEH I have an excellent selection of 5 lenses and a like new body, ground glass screens, concertina lens hood, dual cable release and extra back for about $800.

I believe that that this is the way to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The RB67 is not a TLR (Twin lens). It's single lens. You look through the same lens that exposes the negative. Good luck with the RB67 if you buy it. I've found it's a very fine medium format camera system.
    Yes, already covered that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Hey, let me ask you this....

Why do you want a medium format in the first place? What's your goal? Adding a new format to your current line up is a bit of commitment. You'll need different reels and enlarger lens, etc, not to mention a whole new set of lenses and accessories for your new gear. Then there is a choice of 645, 6x6, 6x7, and for RB, you can even go 6x8 with later bodies. I know this thread started with "found an RB on C/G for $200!" but is the price a prime motivator or do you have something specific in mind? RB and RZ are seriously heavy camera for hand-holding use. 645 is a lot easier. I don't want to further confuse you but I think this is an important consideration - your goal.

Well, when you put it that way, why would any of use need anything other than 1 camera and 1 lens? :-)

You bring up a good point though. I'm definitely going to give that some thought before I make any decisions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only pose this because this is an issue I run into myself. If I am to say, I like cameras and I buy to enjoy the gear, that's fine and a lot of mine are like that - because I wanted to try it. But sometimes I have a certain goal in mind. Like this RB purchase.... I wanted to go BIG, like 16x20 enlargement and still maintain quality. I tried 645 and that didn't do it for me, so I went larger. Now I'm finding, this is TOO BIG and heavy for travel use. Oh well....

Something to think about....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin