Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,360   Online: 1198

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Thinking about selling 60mm Distagon and getting 80mm

Hello all,

I'm debating on selling my 60mm Distagon and Picking up an 80mm. I currently have a 60/150 kit, but I'm really more of a 50mm and 105mm guy in 35mm speak. I love the 150, but perhaps the 60mm is not my angle of view?

It seems that the 80mm is most people's one lens kit, but when i walk around with my 60mm, i'm always tempted to bring the 150 along too.

I know the 80mm renders (god forbid I use this word) bokeh, and the 60mm does so too, actually, when used under certain circumstances.

Thoughts?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    talking about speed-2.8 is better than 3.5 and sometimes you need it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like you would do better with the 80. I find the 80 to be a great focal length, but it has a different feel to me then a 50 on a 35mm. Mostly because of the square.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can never tell if it's a normal wide or a normal tele. It changes depending on the framing and subject for me. I guess that is what makes a great focal lenght.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I changed the 80 for the Zeiss Distagon CFi 3,5/60. The 60 feels much better and if I had to put money on it I think the 60 is sharper. Indoors always was a struggle with the 80 since I never got enough angle, with the 60 indoors and small studio's feel much better.

Not sure what your subjects are but maybe change the 150 for the slightly smaller 120 makro planner, you can still do head shots without the focal rings, and have a smaller gab between lenses.

Mann I would never get rid of that 60

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You all have me thinking about a 3 lens kit now... lol! Although a 50/80/150 kit makes more sense than a 60/80/150
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You also have a Yashica with 80mm lens, according to your flickr-stream? Then the decision is easy: If you like this focal length more and want it for your Hasselblad too, buy it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will say the 50 80 150 is pretty nice. The only problem is I like to only use one lens, so now I have that extra thought of which lens to use. It's kinda frustrating. I shot with a rolleicord for all my travels and never needed any other lens besides the 75.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I agree, try it. For some reason I was not clicking with the 50 in my Hassy kit (but love my Rolleiwide which is similar perspective, go figure) and I got the 60. Really like it a lot even compared to my 80 and I've elected to keep both. 80
    is a classic, amazing performer, and such a great "normal" perspective but the 60 gives the slightly wider perspective when needed without diving too wide like the 50 can sometimes. I say get the 80 and see but do not sell off the 60 yet.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    You all have me thinking about a 3 lens kit now... lol! Although a 50/80/150 kit makes more sense than a 60/80/150
    Consider a 50/60/80/150 kit, this is not so ridiculous. That's like 28/35/50/90, in 35mm camera terms which is perfect I think. I would not always carry all but would want them all when I need them.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin