Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,187   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Where's all the Bronica SQ stuff?

I am still on a lookout for a few replacement lenses for my Bronica.

Today, I decided to log onto KEH and see what they have for sale.

They had 4 Bronica SQA lenses listed - in total.

When I bought my SQAi not much more then 2 years ago, there was lenses and gear everywhere - now it nearly seems like its dried up. Whats happened? Are people hoarding? Is all the SQ gear failing? This is very curious.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday after a long break I did a Bronica search on ePrey and found considerably more gear than I recall from a few months back, sometimes I think it's seasonal! But perhaps the toss-offs from the pros who went bit-zapping has dwindled as people like ourselves took advantage of the opportunities and now most of the gear is in the hands of happy users; I know I haven't been coveting anything much lately. As an opportunist of sorts, there are a couple of items I might yield to temptation for at giveaway pricing, but I doubt such an opportunity will happen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    But, if you look at just about any MF SLR type camera (except for, say, the GS), there is a lot of gear still around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite right, I have noticed this too as I recently bought a Bronica EC just for mucking around really, and noticed that there were more of the earlier S and E series cameras and lenses around than the SQ. Still seems to be a bit of the 6x4.5 stuff available, although much of this was well used by the wedding folks.
    Maybe the SQ series didn't sell in huge numbers or they are so good that no-one will let them go

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've seen threads suggesting that many used camera places minimize their inventory around tax season. I have no idea if this is accurate or not but I can imagine some seasonal fluctuations in stock. Reduced availability may not be limited to the SQ line.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that this helps you, but it's not specific to Bronica. KEH's inventory has shrunk across the board in the last year or two. There's still lots of Hasselblad and Nikon gear on offer, but there are no RB67 bodies listed, and the listings of Pentax bodies and lenses are less than a quarter as long as I remember them being in 2009-2010, which is the last time I was seriously looking. It makes me wish I'd taken advantage of the great bonanza of bargains. Ah well.

I hope that today's pickings are slimmer because all those cameras are in the hands of happy shooters, or better yet that Brian Legge's hypothesis is correct and that we'll see a seasonal expansion of inventory around when I go on a shopping spree this summer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH posts notices quite often that they are coming to such and such a place to buy and sell gear. I think they must be the most aggressive buyers in the business, and as a result usually have a good inventory. But, at Christmas time, I've noticed for the last few years their stock dwindles considerably and we are not that far away from gift buying time that stocks have not yet been replenished. But, I think they're working hard at doing so.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The thing is, with Bronica, it really has fallen off over the last 6 or so months (I know, I have been looking for that long!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm -- I was just cruising the 'Large Format' listings (don't ask) on ePrey and must have seen at least four or five Bronicas -- maybe they're disappearing into the wrong categories as the latest generation doesn't know what 'medium format' and 'large format' actually refer to??!!

I do recall getting quite a few e-mailings from KEH over the last couple of months. I seem to recall a recent one saying they had acquired a bunch of stuff and were in a bit of a bottleneck getting it sorted and posted. Maybe there's a bunch in a warehouse in Georgia. I do recall they were on buying missions at a couple of camera stores here in the Philadelphia area last fall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are disappearing because people are buying them. The range of SQ's and lenses has decreased considerably from two years ago on Ebay, and it is the same with Hasselblad, etc. Photographers want to use film again. But the Bronica SQ in particular has been getting great press on the camera forums, justifiably so, and rather than being seen as a wannabe Hassel alternative is viewed in a more considered light for what it is.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin