Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,307   Online: 824

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645AF Film Will Not Advance!

Hi everyone! This is my first post here in APUG! Well, I just got a Mamiya 645AF (yay!). Decided to take it out for a spin today, grabbed some fresh batteries and loaded up a roll of 120. Then there is this issue..

When I put the film back on, the film does not auto advance to the first frame. At first, I thought I was dumb and didn't load the film in correctly. Doubled check everything, watched a couple of videos via youtube and I did the same exact thing as everyone I saw. Took it over to our local camera store and the repair department couldn't figure anything wrong with it. The camera fires at all shutter speeds fine, everything functions fine, except for the film back. For some odd reason it's just not advancing at all. The LCD shows the ISO and film type but doesn't show a numeric digit for the film count. Just says (--). In the manual, it states that if you loaded the film wrong, it'll show that symbol (--) but seeing that I loaded everything correctly, that can't be the case right? I tried cleaning the contacts and to none success, nothing happens. I went ahead and contacted the seller and asked them to refund me for a portion since the back isn't working. I went ahead and bought one from adorama. I'm praying this will work with another back. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Is there a motor in the back of the film back that causes the film to whine and advance?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have looked at the instructions on line and there are a couple of pointers.

Have you set the film type to 120 or 220?
    Have you removed the darkslide?
    When loading the film it seems you have to manually move the film forward the film before the back is attached to the camera. This only a small movement until it clicks twice.

I am not familiar at all with the Mamiya AF cameras so cannot go any further. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 02-03-2013 at 03:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I have looked at the instructions on line and there are a couple of pointers.

Have you set the film type to 120 or 220?
    Have you removed the darkslide?
    When loading the film it seems you have to manually move the film forward the film before the back is attached to the camera. This only a small movement until it clicks twice.

I am not familiar at all with the Mamiya AF cameras so cannot go any further. I hope this helps.
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. Nothing happens in terms of film advancing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin