Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,637   Online: 892

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You have received good advice: just go out and shoot with the camera. If you stop thinking about it your eye will find compositions that fit the square format. Sometimes your eye finds a horizontal or vertical rectangle that works better, so just crop at the enlarging stage. That is your right, and responsibility, as a printer.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the square has you confused, shoot as much as you can. Either it will start making sense, or you'll be looking for a 6x4.5 back.

And when not shooting, look at people who have used it.

A couple of people not named-
    Michael Kenna- http://www.michaelkenna.net/imagearchive.php
    Lee Freeidlander- http://whitney.org/Exhibitions/LeeFriedlander/Images
    Diane Arbus.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 02-04-2013 at 09:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for this insight and help so far. Please keep it coming. I will look at it all that has been said so far and ponder it over as I am out shooting. I have used some of my composition approaches that I would use for "normal" rectangle shooting with the square format when I took the camera out this past weekend for a trial run. But from what I gather, it is intuitive and should be somewhat easy to transition between the 2 formats.

R/
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Argentium view cameras makes and 8x8 with 8x8 holders.
    Great, now I have GAS.

But since no one cuts 8x8 film, is it clear that there's any real advantage over shooting 8x10 and cropping at print time? I mean, I yield to no one in my love for square formats, but it seems like if you're going to remove a 2x8 strip from every sheet, you might as well expose it instead and have the slight extra flexibility.

To the OP's question, I think on the whole good composition is where you see it, independent of format. The one thing that strikes me about square formats is that they really won't let you get away with bullet composition (unless you're *trying* for an artificially symmetric, geometric image).

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at work by Keith Carter, Rolfe Horn, Hiroshi Watanabe, Michael Kenna, Joseph Hoflehner and the numerous photos here and flickr groups like Hasselblad, Bronica SQ, Pentacon Six etc. to see what works and especially what doesn't work.

The rule of thirds still applies with the square.

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another of my pipe-dream ideas, is to print 5x5" negs in my Bessler 45mxt.
    The 5x7 format frustrates me as I am limited to contact prints... although I have a 5x7 Elwood, that I just don't have the room to set up. It is HUGE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin