Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,307   Online: 1124

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    photograph people, because they are so overweight and dress so poorly now. (see the Walmart people photos now on youtube). I'm not going to photograph men with no collars, or women in pants. And this is a genteel description of the present style. So I shoot barns and pastures and the like.

Boy.. this is so true. I live in New Mexico and standard dress code here out in public is Sponge Bob sweats, flip flops and stained T shirt. This is the MO for both men and women. No one takes pride on how they look. Film or digital shooter stuggle with shooting people these days. I remember I shot a wedding some time ago. The couple was average however the the uncles did want to tuck in thier tux shirt or make the effort to look nice. I felt very diappointed on wanted to do for them, but without the cooperation from people it will never happen. I'm not shooting weddings any more. They also try talk you down on the price, with the statment of "Just a little Ceremony". Sorry.. I'm straying from topic. When I shoot an assignment, I usually ask for two week turn around. So, being timely is consistant with either film or digital. I should mention that I have access to high end film scanner that scans negs to give 1.5 gig images.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was going to mention that I still make my living shooting film, but this thread seems to have gone somewhere completely different. I probably don't meet the sartorial requirements of this august group of critics anyway, so I'll just move on.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    I fouled up a wedding once. With a Rolleiflex in 1984. The x-sync said x, but the interior linkage was fouled up and it was actually "M". Never again. No more weddings, ever again And I can't really photograph people, because they are so overweight and dress so poorly now. (see the Walmart people photos now on youtube). I'm not going to photograph men with no collars, or women in pants. And this is a genteel description of the present style. So I shoot barns and pastures and the like.
    I've actually found the opposite in the UK - there's a conservative fashionista epidemic. Even in rural towns everyone has a metropolitan style, no matter how ugly, overweight or lower class they are. Most portraiture ends up looking like the Sartorialist. This is admittedly more of a problem for documentary work - an example.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Mark, Are your customers reseptive to what you provide? Do you shoot Medium format or 35mm?

Todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have any aspirations towards working as a professional photographer, then stop what you are doing and buy this book: Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington. It's a good dose of reality in a business where most people live in fantasy land.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I was going to mention that I still make my living shooting film, but this thread seems to have gone somewhere completely different. I probably don't meet the sartorial requirements of this august group of critics anyway, so I'll just move on.
    I'd be very interested in what you have to say. It's great that you still make a living shooting film, but it's even better that you still make a living making photographs!
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    I think that the segment is a key factor in this arena.

I know of many landscape professionals still using film. In particular, the Panorama shooters using 120 film for 6x17cm images. Nothing (including the Seitz digital) comes close to the quality and enlargement possibilities of a well exposed piece of Velvia in this segment.

Also, large printed B&W landscapes, IMO, are still best shot on LF (or ULF) film. Is there anyone out in the digital world producing the quality of, say, Clive Butcher? I think not...
    I don't agree. myself, I still live from shooting MF on film, as an artist, not as an ordinary photographer. but I see the digital work from my photographer friends. with a conon 1D (no way as expensive as a hassy), photoshop and an epson A3 professional printer they do prints that I can't do with my gear. the quality is impeccable, be it colour or b&w. open your eyes, the quality of digital work as improved a lot. have you ever seen a b&w digital print with matte ink on matte paper? I never ever could do this in my lab.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I make my living taking photographs but client's logistics dictate that it's all digital, I haven't shot a commercial job on film in 5 years.
    But for my own pleasure I'll sometimes shoot a film version and the client invariably loves it.

Of course 100% of my personal work is shot on film

www.roryearnshaw.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by xya View Post
    I don't agree. myself [sic], I still live from shooting MF on film, as an artist, not as an ordinary photographer.
    I'm not actually sure what part of what I wrote is disagreeable to you. I also don't actually know what makes you "an artist". Is there some degree, diploma or certificate that you've earned that makes you better than us "ordinary" photographers? Or are you just self-ordained?

with [sic] a conon [sic] 1D (no way as expensive as a hassy [sic]), photoshop [sic] and an epson [sic] A3 professional printer [sic] they do prints that I can't do with my gear.
    I would put it to you that this is more a result of your lack of skill that the medium's capability. Perhaps your ambition outweighs your ability?

open [sic] your eyes, the quality of digital work as improved a lot.
    Perhaps you should open yours, you condescending jerk. Supporting my assertion that your ambition outweighs your ability, what do you think generally happens to a piece of Velvia after it's exposed? It goes in to a digital workflow. Given your "artistic" brilliance, what digital capture device can produce a BETTER digital file than a piece of Velvia 6x17 that has been drum scanned at high (2400+ dpi) resolution?

have [sic] you ever seen a b&w digital print with matte ink on matte paper?
    Yes. What's your point?

I never ever could do this in my lab.
    Again, your ambition obviously outweighs your ability.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin