Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,483   Posts: 1,571,186   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pro photgrapher's still use film?

Hey guys,

I was thinking of offering a little on-side service starting this spring and summer. I'm planning to use my Rollei's to shoot with. I'm not going to shoot weddings or anything, something more on a smaller scale. Anyway.. I was wondering if Pro photographer still use film to shoot paying jobs? I searched the internet, and it seems that all the small time photographers shoot digital. Do we have any commercial shooter that use film here? I thought it would be something different and unique to offer the public.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I thought it would be something different and unique to offer the public.
    The question is, will anyone notice? There may be a very select group of people who will care to know the technical nuts and bolts, but it's not many.

For years in our portrait studio, we sold three different types of prints and charged three different prices. Ultimately, I decided we were confusing people and also hurting sales by asking them to make too many decisions. Now, the only thing that has a higher price is canvas prints, which has a very specific audience, which is people who know they want a classical portrait of a child and know they want it on canvas. Otherwise, no other clients see that price list.

Just because it's shot on film does not make it unique and therefore worthy of investment. What makes it unique and worthy of investment is your mind and your creativity.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey guys,

I was thinking of offering a little on-side service starting this spring and summer. I'm planning to use my Rollei's to shoot with. I'm not going to shoot weddings or anything, something more on a smaller scale. Anyway.. I was wondering if Pro photographer still use film to shoot paying jobs? I searched the internet, and it seems that all the small time photographers shoot digital. Do we have any commercial shooter that use film here? I thought it would be something different and unique to offer the public.

ToddB

Why no weddings? Jonathan Canlas does a great job with weddings using a film camera. I particularly like what he did with the African American wedding. The skin tones are great. The bulk of the guy's work is just straight forward well exposed and composed film pictures with no gimmicks.

Check out what he did with Portra 400 pushed to 3200.

Given the expense of film and the fact that clients are now getting used to quantity not quality with digital you will have to market your self appropriately and disclose to them they won't be getting hundreds of shots. I think the sophisticated premium market you would have to go after would not be the type of thing small time photographers would generally spend their time on. I personally have encouraged small time photographers to consider offering film to certain clients.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm still shooting film for product, particularly food. Most of my art directors like the look of a large format transparency better than the alternatives. But you gotta have the skillz. It's ME shooting film they want, not film by itself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I personally have encouraged small time photographers to consider offering film to certain clients.

This what I'm going for. Offering my experiance with superior image quality that Rollei can provide, also keeping affordable. It seems with digital, everyone wants a "good enough" approch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I personally have encouraged small time photographers to consider offering film to certain clients.

This what I'm going for. Offering my experiance with superior image quality that Rollei can provide, also keeping affordable. It seems with digital, everyone wants a "good enough" approch.
    I think this is a great idea, and a great attitude. The "look" of film is great, but many won't tell the difference. I think the difference is is the marketability of the permanent nature of film/negatives, and the feeling that they're getting a certain amount of quality, and not just quantity. That's not say that quality cannot be shot on digital of course, but it's perhaps easier to market the idea of film as "prestige".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thats the wife was thinking when I pitched her the idea. I shot a pic of me and the family with self timer with my T model last fall. It turned out fantastic and it had a dirrent look to it. The color, the apature fall off behind us. I think people would be very excited to something like this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    It's ME shooting film they want, not film by itself.
    +1, they want my image firstly, they know I love to shoot film so the result will show the love.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    +1, they want my image firstly, they know I love to shoot film so the result will show the love.
    Couldn't said it better. Thats it. There has to be some value that makes us film shooters unique and different.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Couldn't said it better. Thats it. There has to be some value that makes us film shooters unique and different.

ToddB
    Basically, you have to be very good - and you have to find customers who can percieve (and pay for) this. I made money with cameras from the late 80's to the late 90's; I was charging $75 1990 dollars per hour, plus materials for product photography - that was about the going rate in this area.
    Today, I doubt I could come close to that, even without adjusting for inflation. The last work I did was weddings, the fellow I worked for provided cameras, film, and $40/hr.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin