Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,234   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hblad questions

Shooter
    35mm

Hblad questions

I'm fancying a medium format SLR but I have some questions. I'm mostly leaning towards hasselblad 500cm:

-Mechanical Shutter
    -Easy to find/repair bodies and lenses
    -Hold it's value because it is digital-forward
    -Small-ish.

Oh and I plan on using a tripod so mirror shake isn't that much of a concern. I have flex's for walk-around handheld use but sometimes I want something a little shorter or a little longer. I just plan on getting a 120mm for now and then maybe I would add a 60mm/80mm or 150mm/180mm in the future. 60mm is the shortest I'd go and 180mm is the longest I'd go.

1. I like Square but sometimes I like rectangle; however I do not like cropping because I print full-frame. There is a 645 back, I see some on keh.com for reasonable prices.
    -Can these rotate? I assume not.
    -Is there a mask for the viewfinder? Or do you just visualize the 645?
    645 isn't that big of a deal but it would add to the versatility. If I like 645 so much then I'd just get a 645 camera.

2. I like waist-level but sometimes, mostly for longer lenses, I prefer to eye-level. A prism would be a natural choice but it would probably add bulk/ more things to carry, be more difficult to focus, and compromise viewfinder coverage. I have two choices: rotate the camera and compose upside down or get a prism. I guess it also depends on how "fast" you need to work but..
    -What is the coverage for the 90 degree prism?
    -I do not plan on getting the acute-matte screen, in the beginning, but would the prism make things difficult to focus for 120mm-180mm lenses?
    -Anyone prefer the waist for eye-level viewing when on a tripod? Just wondering. I feel that viewing things upside down aids in composition.

3. Is there a difference between WLF? I see that there are "late" ones on keh.com which go more than the non-late ones.
    Last edited by puketronic; 02-07-2013 at 01:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. The 645 does not rotate however there was a 645 vertical back which however only gave you 12 shots, so it was pretty rubbish. There is a 645 mask for the finder but it is very tricky to find one. I though often of getting a 645 back for my blad but in the end I just crop, yes it wastes film but I still have the option of 6x6.

2. By coverage what do you mean? I have a PM90 and you see the full frame. I use it with an acute matte D and it is nice and bright, I prefer it to the WLF. I do like the WLF on the tripod but once you start getting into acute angles it is inconvenient.

Also, if you plan on using long lenses the 500CM mirror cannot show the whole frame. I don't have personal experience as both my bodies had the GMS but others can chip in and say how much this is an issue or not.
    500ELX, 80CB
    RB67 SD, 65KL, 90KL, 127KL, 250KL
    Nikonos V, 35/2.5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I also agree that "cropping" is not a sin. I like my black boarders for some work, but it's not some weird taboo to crop things to a rectangle,
    No the back doesn't rotate, so you will be stuck horizontal unless you get a 90' prism... 45' prism and WL finder are no fun to use in "vertical" arrangement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by puketronic View Post
    1. I like Square but sometimes I like rectangle;
    Buying a Hasselblad to shoot non-square images makes about as much sense as buying a Porsche 911 with an automatic transmission.

If you want rectangular, just buy a Mamiya.

Shooter
    Large Format
    the waist level image is not upside down, just left to right reversed.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    Buying a Hasselblad to shoot non-square images makes about as much sense as buying a Porsche 911 with an automatic transmission.

If you want rectangular, just buy a Mamiya.
    funny, but Lots of pros I talked to used hasselblad because they worked and because they did not have to turn the camera. The Lenses were good enough to soon wide and crop later.

All of my personal work is square but most of my paid work is shot like that. Most people don't want square images, so i shoot to crop.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A Hasselblad is a systems camera, which allows versatility, by a variety of interchangable backs and lenses, If this is what you want, then a Hassey is the camera for you.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the mirror issue is minor IMO.it never bothered me and i have used 150,180 and 250mm lenses on my 501c.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i agree,hasselblad rocks. it just works and mostlenses arevery good to excellent. icrop without hesitation to improve composition in the darkroom. good lenses let you do that
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only real advantage of the 645 back is that it gives you 16 exposures, aside from that, as stated, if you want to compose for a rectangle you can perfectly well do it in the 6x6 frame.
    If you want to use the 645 back for vertical shots, a 90 degree prism or a sports finder is almost a necessity. The WLF or the 45 degree prisms are awkward to use with the camera on its side.
    If you can't find a mask (likely) you can make one, or use the grided screen, which will show the 645 coverage area.
    I prefer the grid screen, since it's always there, plus it's helpful for lining up vertical or horizontal lines in your shots.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin