Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 696
      
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 79
  1. #21
    gorbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Posts
    329
    Thank you for kind words Stone NY! Also for good tip for labelling cassettes. As for Maco films, photographer from Finland, who pushed me in the direction to use 70mm film with Hasselblad, Jukka Watanen, http://www.flickr.com/photos/40146285@N08/ is their official dealer. So far I didn't order any films from them thru Jukka or directly. I was lucky to buy 70mm processing reel as old stock in local camera store. Next time I'm in their neighbourhood will check do they have any more of them left.
    As somebody raised on Paterson reels, I found loading this metal 70mm reel not that challenging. Not more than any other 35 or 120 metal reel. As soon as I have secured beginning of the roll, rest of loading is easy.
    StoneNY, what kind of reel are you using?
    Well, keep shooting Guys!

  2. #22
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226

    homemade 70mm loader

    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Thank you for kind words Stone NY! Also for good tip for labelling cassettes. As for Maco films, photographer from Finland, who pushed me in the direction to use 70mm film with Hasselblad, Jukka Watanen, http://www.flickr.com/photos/40146285@N08/ is their official dealer. So far I didn't order any films from them thru Jukka or directly. I was lucky to buy 70mm processing reel as old stock in local camera store. Next time I'm in their neighbourhood will check do they have any more of them left.
    As somebody raised on Paterson reels, I found loading this metal 70mm reel not that challenging. Not more than any other 35 or 120 metal reel. As soon as I have secured beginning of the roll, rest of loading is easy.
    StoneNY, what kind of reel are you using?
    Well, keep shooting Guys!
    Thanks, some kind of SS spiral...


    Made a custom daylight tank with a JOBO hand tank and a store pot that fits exactly the size of the spiral, but the spiral is really hard to load, it doesn't look like the metal spun is perfectly even and so it skips tracks :/ I'm afraid to touch the film as I don't know how fingerprint oils affect film but if I could I could feel the feeding better but I can't so sometimes I skip tracks and everything gets messed up.


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  3. #23
    polyglot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,341
    Images
    12
    You needn't be afraid of touching the back of the film at all. Is that enough to guide it onto the rails?

  4. #24
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You needn't be afraid of touching the back of the film at all. Is that enough to guide it onto the rails?
    Well since I've never done it I'm not sure, I have a shoot tomorrow night so I'll finish off my current roll and see what happens. Thanks.

  5. #25
    gorbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Posts
    329
    Stone NYC, I like your processing tank! Brilliant! I'm going "ghetto" route, with processing in open SS dish in the dark.
    I think, since capacity of my reel is 100", that wires on it are thicker and easier to load? While loading I'm keeping reel vertically and keep spinning the reel with film slightly squeezed so it can enter space between wires.

  6. #26
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Stone NYC, I like your processing tank! Brilliant! I'm going "ghetto" route, with processing in open SS dish in the dark.
    I think, since capacity of my reel is 100", that wires on it are thicker and easier to load? While loading I'm keeping reel vertically and keep spinning the reel with film slightly squeezed so it can enter space between wires.
    Yes that's how I do it but without my fingers touching the film, I think this time I will use my fingers as a guide and see if this helps.

  7. #27
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226

    homemade 70mm loader

    This is the top fully closed just to show you guys




    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  8. #28
    polyglot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    3,341
    Images
    12
    Final couple of scans: skintones have that extended-red marble-glow like you get from SFX. And red filtered clouds do about what you'd expect.

  9. #29
    gorbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Posts
    329
    Stone, you are official Winner of GORBAS darkroom engineering award for 2013! Absolutely BRILLIANT lid design! What material did you use? Do you have to use tape to seal it? Is Jobo lid reusable or it's now permanent part of new lid?

  10. #30
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,988
    Images
    226

    homemade 70mm loader

    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Stone, you are official Winner of GORBAS darkroom engineering award for 2013! Absolutely BRILLIANT lid design! What material did you use? Do you have to use tape to seal it? Is Jobo lid reusable or it's now permanent part of new lid?
    Lol thanks.

    Ok so I bought a cheap SS pan with a glass lid from the store, broke the glass so only the metal rim was used (the rim had a rubber ring around it so I thought it would be good for preventing leaks) then I took a black pail (like a small plastic garbage can) who's bottom just fit inside the ring, cut off the wall of the pail and put the bottom if the pail inside the ring. I then glued that with some super glue followed by industrial sealer glue.

    Then I cut a hole in the pail bottom to fit the JOBO, measured how deep it went then drilled holes in the side and bottom if the JOBO (but at the far edges) so light won't go in but chemicals can drain in and out.

    Then I glued the JOBO inside the pail lid same glue process making sure the holes in the side were as close to the edge of the pail lid as possible (for optimum draining). Then it wasn't draining to my satisfaction so I took a candle, turned the lid upside down, and melted wax inside until I had it perfectly level with the drain holes. (Don't do this if you want to process C-41 or E-6 as higher temps may melt the wax).

    Then I took gaffers tape and covered the outside of the pail lid just in case since the black plastic wasn't super thick.

    That's it really.

    I usually process at night. Once I did during the day with this and ended up with some light streaks at the edge images so it's not perfect. If I did it again I would have used a Paterson tank instead. I'll probably add light baffles to the holes to prevent that daytime stray light. But it's not so bad just doing it at night is fine with me.

    The hardest part is processing, it takes exactly 2L if chemistry, hand inversion is a pain and I'm strong but still hurts my wrists by the end.

    I hope I didn't miss anything... Oh to be sure the lid doesn't come off I tape the lid with gaffers tape around the edges each time before processing since the weight of the liquid when I invert it is heavy, then when I'm done I just take that off and throw it away.

    The only thing that leaks is the JOBO lid, but I've never had a good JOBO that's why I canibalized it for the experiment but now wish I used a Paterson...


    ~Stone

    Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 02-18-2013 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin