Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,710   Online: 785

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

70mm film -Cut it down after shooting

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Jobo part numbers are 3075 (5m reel) and 3035 (Expert drum to contain that reel). Very expensive.
    I am a panoramic-rotating panoramic camera-photographer.
    In my roundshot 65/70/220 i can use 120/220 and 70mm film(perforated or unperforated).
    I have both the special 2517(172cm lenght 70mm) reel by jobo and a ro-kit 5037(3075 reel and 3035 drum. 2517 reel can be used together with testdrum 2520(500ml).

Problem is one needs the rotating machine.
    But this genious idea came to me:
    Cut down 70mm film to120/220 after shooting. xkaes(xkaes at aol.com) has or can be made all kind of cutters.
    i have the one cutting center-section down leaving perforation-remains on both side. Not good for labs-it could destroy their machine. cutting down only one side would be better.
    If you want to use b+w, ilford announced delta 100 and hp5 plus 70mm unperforated for the end of 2013.
    so xkaes can also deliver a cutter(maybe for this one one must wait 2 months) which cuts only one side, leaving full perforation on one side. if color-film is used and external lab then this is THE solution.

I developped a lot of 70mm films with one single 2517-reel in testdrum 2520 and jobo cpa2. even slide film-E6.
    Roundshot takes 70mm cartridges. can take up up to 6.5m film -thin vericolor hc or agfa avipan 200s or whatever thins film.
    to load 70mm film i have an alden bulk-film load with removed counter(could scratch film). of course during shooting i must exactly know where to pause and "cut" the film there afterwards on to 172cm lenght jobo 2517 reel.
    I also did presoaking film with water in fear of uneven developping. even slidefilm(they say its not appropriate).
    i never had any problem.
    Only in my older cpa2(i now have a second one) i found some weak mechanics behind the knobs of the command-module. thats why i have interrupted one of the functions(dont remember which one and i have bad access to the jobo now)in fear the mechanisme could stop during work. and yes, jobo confessed that the new rotator cpp3 has some weak parts in cpp2 or cpa2 solved. In another thread about hewes reel taking 220 film i have just read here that some cpa2 have a weaker motor. would be good to know which SNs.
    If someone is buying cutter from xkaes pls open a new thread, so we could buy together and let him produce it quicker than these two months. paying is in advance. around 40 usd. search filmslitter. there is a website.

How long is 220 film?

Linhof 70 Umwickler 002513(maybe 2514-the guide is incl. in 002513) as darkroom-alternative to the dailight-Alden Bulk film loader 70mm.
    there was someone in germany at ebay.de who had multiples of this item until 2012 for really cheap-35euro or less. I could ask to whom he has sold all the remaining ones.They were very expensive.575 /95 chf in 1988 if the film-guide is incl. then only 575 chf in total listprice without taxes.
    Not having the 15 ft. drumkit is not a big mess. a big mess is dealing with the needed 1.5lt chemistry in job rotating-machine. above all with color. calculate the limited 1lt-slots.
    Last edited by europanorama; 03-13-2013 at 03:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Home-made 70mm tank by Rolland Elliot

There must be an old thread mentioning Rolland Elliot(former color IR 70mm-cutter) who the delivered also a homemade 70mm-tank.
    Alternative 70mm-reel
    Someone else has cut a 2500 reel adding a fuji film-box inbetween.
    www.3dreal.tk
    www.stereopan.org
    under reconstruction
    3dstereomedia
    aeropanorama
    marspanoramas

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

homemade 70mm loader

Someone just bid against me on the 70mm tank I hope it isn't someone here...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wasn't me! My current system of cutting into ~220-lengths and running them in the Jobo is working very well and I processed 5m of 2405 the other night. I used my hacked loader to hold the spool and prevent it from unwinding while I wind it onto the Jobo spiral.

Which reminds me, the tape-as-marker trick worked well. Pull the darkslide after every 20 frames (for RB/RZ; it'd be every 32 on 6x6), make a loop of tape and stick it to the film with the sticking-up tab pointing away from the takeup reel, i.e. so that it goes cleanly into the cassette without any folding or likelihood of felt damage. When spooling the film for development, you can easily feel the tape sticking up and snip the roll at that point. That gives you half a frame of exposed leader at each end which is just nice for hanging the film up. You can also put a tape marker on the film while initially winding it onto the takeup spool (one stroke before the counter reaches 1) so that you know exactly how much to cut off the leader.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Stone, I promised you, I'm not going to bid.
    Polyglot, I think that even just sticking tape on film will work, especially if you use little bit thicker tape (like masking or camera tape) not regular, thin scotch tape. With my processing reel I'm using leader length to start loading. Will try to talk with my camera technician about disabling "leader" function on the magazine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Wasn't me! My current system of cutting into ~220-lengths and running them in the Jobo is working very well and I processed 5m of 2405 the other night. I used my hacked loader to hold the spool and prevent it from unwinding while I wind it onto the Jobo spiral.

Which reminds me, the tape-as-marker trick worked well. Pull the darkslide after every 20 frames (for RB/RZ; it'd be every 32 on 6x6), make a loop of tape and stick it to the film with the sticking-up tab pointing away from the takeup reel, i.e. so that it goes cleanly into the cassette without any folding or likelihood of felt damage. When spooling the film for development, you can easily feel the tape sticking up and snip the roll at that point. That gives you half a frame of exposed leader at each end which is just nice for hanging the film up. You can also put a tape marker on the film while initially winding it onto the takeup spool (one stroke before the counter reaches 1) so that you know exactly how much to cut off the leader.
    I'm curious, how are you able to fit 70mm onto a reel made for 120/220? Isn't the film about 5mm too wide?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

homemade 70mm loader

Quote Originally Posted by NolanGalbreath View Post
    I'm curious, how are you able to fit 70mm onto a reel made for 120/220? Isn't the film about 5mm too wide?
    It's not a 120/220 tank it's a 116 tank, that is the same width as 70mm...

On a side note... It's mine... One guy bid against me, his only bid .... Still I guessed I should make a final bid ... $350... The final sale was $342... Ugh!!! I'm going to owe my father $342... I'll never live this down...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NolanGalbreath View Post
    Like this. Principle works the same with Jobo 2501 reels as it does with Paterson reels. The only trick is that when you're reversing half of a reel into the other half, there is ONE orientation where they click slightly and get about 1mm closer together. They need to be in that position.

I'm seriously considering cutting the centre of a couple reels (I have 8 and rarely need more than 6 at a time) and then gluing it inside a little extension tube to make it the extra little bit longer and self-supporting without being on a core. That would allow me to process more than one 220-length at a time. Otherwise, I have the silly situation that I can run 6 rolls of 120 in a single process, but I can run only 1/3 of a 15' spool of 70mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Be warned

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    There must be an old thread mentioning Rolland Elliot(former color IR 70mm-cutter) who the delivered also a homemade 70mm-tank.
    Just spare yourself the trouble of doing business with this loser. If it's the same guy that does/did CPU conversions of Nikkor lenses, that is. I am still sitting with a 200/4 AIS Micro minus mount, after sending it to him for chipping. There is a horde of other customers of his who complained about losing mounts and money. AVOID.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

homemade 70mm loader

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

~Stone

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin