Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 641

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To tell you the truth, I'm leaning towards Hasselblad. The reason is probably as much emotional as it is rational.
    First, I really like it - it really has a unique aesthetics. Second, there should be no problem finding parts for quite some time in the future. And third, the price is not much higher compared to other systems. I mean, you can get a Hasselblad - A Hasselblad for less than Canon 10-22 digital only lens that's not even L quality!?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jernejk View Post
    To tell you the truth, I'm leaning towards Hasselblad. The reason is probably as much emotional as it is rational.
    First, I really like it - it really has a unique aesthetics. Second, there should be no problem finding parts for quite some time in the future. And third, the price is not much higher compared to other systems. I mean, you can get a Hasselblad - A Hasselblad for less than Canon 10-22 digital only lens that's not even L quality!?
    If you already settled on a Hasselblad and a big part of your decision was based on "aesthetics" why did you start this thread? I mean what are we supposed to say? If you like a camera because of it's aesthetics what if we all think it is ugly? Would you change your mind and choose a different camera? That wouldn't make any sense. If you like the way a Hasselblad looks and it makes you happy then just buy it. I'm just glad you didn't waste our time listing a bunch of non existent objective "facts" to support a decision that had a large emotional component.

Enjoy your Hasselblad and let us know how it works out for you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Relax, Mr.Noble

After 2 pages of advice he is leaning towards the Blad...even taking your advice with a SLR. Is he suppose to wait until he gets 1000 replies?LOL!

Nice thing about a Blad in good condition, it can easily be resold if it does not fit one's requirements.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    why did you start this thread?
    I am considering all proposed options and checking ebay. It seems either Bronica, Hasselblad or even SL66 would fit my needs. I have no distinct favorite, but as I'm going through listings, yes, Hasselblad seems to touch me stronger as the others. Hence, I'm leaning towards... but all options are still there.

I find much, much more listings for Hassleblad systems or parts compared to the other two - which mens Hasselblad is probably the most future proof investment (at least on EU market). Also, as lovely camera as SL66 is, I do some flash photography and most lenses don't have leaf shutter, limiting sync speed to 1/30.

Shooter
    35mm
    To me, the ultimate medium format camera is the Ebony 23S. More realistically, there's always the Horseman VHR, or the Shen-Hao TFC69-A (or any 4x5 with a roll film holder).

Just throwin' it out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am considering all proposed options and checking ebay. It seems either Bronica, Hasselblad or even SL66 would fit my needs. I have no distinct favorite, but as I'm going through listings, yes, Hasselblad seems to touch me stronger as the others. Hence, I'm leaning towards... but all options are still there.
    If I misinterpreted your post I apologize. It seemed to me you had already made up your mind.

There is nothing wrong with picking a camera like a Hasselblad based on aesthetics if it is really important to you. I don't often read people posting, "I got a Hasselblad and I regret it." So the chance of regret are small.

A lot of this is going to boil down to personal taste. I personally comment on what people post when I think it doesn't make objective sense. But if someone says I like the feel or look of a particular camera that is a personal choice. No one can really tell you your preference in that regard is wrong.

I find much, much more listings for Hassleblad systems or parts compared to the other two - which mens Hasselblad is probably the most future proof investment (at least on EU market).
    Yes there are far more Hasselblads floating around out there on the used market than just about anything else in the space. There is no discussion about that. How much "future proofing" you need is a matter of debate. If you are not a pro then it is unlikely you will push your equipment to manufactures limits any time soon. Personally at these prices I figure I will just pick up another body for my system if and when I see a deal somewhere. But again that is a personal choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my Hasselblad...although, it is not exactly lightweight and I think you mentioned that as well... Maybe you were just referring to the 35mm format when you mentioned that. Also, I think aesthetics are not only about appearance. The way the Hasselblad operates, how it sounds, the Zeiss glass...all are things of beauty...and I mean that in an aesthetically pleasing technical manner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To OP:

I've seen this kind of thread many times. I've started a few myself asking the same questions. What really comes down to is this.... unless you hold the camera in your hand and use it for a while, change your mind and try something else, and do it for few more times, you really won't know what the "best" camera is for you. I've tried Mamiya M645, then Rolleicord V, and I'm onto Mamiya RB-SD. I haven't found "the best" yet but I am liking my RB. Maybe Hasselblad is for you or even for me. But it's really a personal thing. You can't go by recommendations or specs.

It makes it a very expensive endeavor. Luckily, if you buy smartly, you can recoup a good portion of it back.

Good luck in your search.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    SLR with 6x6 is basically a Rollei SL66 (or one of the more recent electronic Rollei's), the Bronica or Hasselblad. In regards to repair long term, the Hasselblad is certainly a good bet (that is where I put my money!). Hassy is probably the least "macro friendly". The 120mm macro is 1:4 and I believe that adding a 32mm tube gets you to around 1:2. I stack a couple of tubes on my 150mm and find it isn't quite enough for me. The image below is the closest focus with the 2 tubes +150mm and it is about 1:4. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avacado leaf.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	64066 The Bronica does have a 1:1 macro, but I'm not sure how easy they are to find. The SL66 is insanely cool....bellows focussing, lenses can be reversed, focal plane shutter....and quite a bit less common. Three good choices with different strengths.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    To OP:

I've seen this kind of thread many times. I've started a few myself asking the same questions. What really comes down to is this.... unless you hold the camera in your hand and use it for a while, change your mind and try something else, and do it for few more times, you really won't know what the "best" camera is for you. I've tried Mamiya M645, then Rolleicord V, and I'm onto Mamiya RB-SD. I haven't found "the best" yet but I am liking my RB. Maybe Hasselblad is for you or even for me. But it's really a personal thing. You can't go by recommendations or specs.

It makes it a very expensive endeavor. Luckily, if you buy smartly, you can recoup a good portion of it back.

Good luck in your search.
    All very good points...I've followed recommendations, only to be disappointed later. Not because the advice was bad, but because my expectations, or application were such that the recommended equipment did not work for me...even though it was ideal for the person giving the recommendation. You do really have to hold it and use it... The good part is that all the equipment you are considering is used, so the investment is not crippling, and the equipment essentially will hold its value.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin