Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,688   Online: 947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon F4..

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon F4..

Hey guys,

Here in the last few months I was given a mint Nikon F4. The guy I got it from retired and had it in his locker. beuatiful camera. it came with three lens and flash. Where I'm I going with this...? As most of us use medium format cameras I'm fighting in my head in regards to go shoot with Rollei or go out and shoot the F4. Do you guys go back in forth in regards to shoot a particular format, regardless of camera? Do you alway go back to the old faithful? I'm always thinking if I see something and have the wrong camera. I'll have regret not shooting it with Rollei.The insanity!!

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon F4..

It's all a personal thing. Some people are one camera, one or two lenses, one film and one developer. Wonderful for them. As long as they don't get all high and mighty about it...

Personally I love shooting many different cameras and have extensive sets I've collected thru the years both MF and 35mm. As my mood or spirit changes I feel drawn to different systems at different times not only for the results I get but how differently the systems handle and the fun of seeing what I can do and get with different lenses and th different approaches each system or set demands or encourages in me.

Obviously you got very lucky here getting such a nice camera and set of lenses. Have fun and see what you think. If it's not for you sell it off or pass on the favor to another close friend.

But don't decide such too quickly! Give it a year or two and at least 3-4 strong solid tries with the F4 system before you decide to move on from it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a pretty big f4/f3 nikon system, and a nice compact MF setup; I guess I don't see a lot of overlap between them- I use the f4 when I want to burn a lot of exposures or need something it offers, I use the MF for my premeditated photography when I know I won't need many frames to get what I want. I wouldn't use MF for sports, for example- I've tried, but was unhappy with the success rate vs. processing time for the number of exposures.

As I see it, the F4 has decent tracking AF, TTL flash, long telephoto capability & 37 consistent shots per roll. These are things I need sometimes. I could probably use the f4 for all my MF shots, but they would lack the look I was attempting to achieve, but I simply could not use MF for many of my f4 work.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you feel you can't use it, you can send it to me. I'll keep you updated on how I use it. You may as well send the lenses, too, they're just taking up space on your shelf.

:-)

I have both Bronica SQ-A and Nikon gear. I enjoy using them both. Give it some time, you may find out you like using the F4. If not, you know how to get a hold of me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    It's all a personal thing. Some people are one camera, one or two lenses, one film and one developer. Wonderful for them. As long as they don't get all high and mighty about it...

Personally I love shooting many different cameras and have extensive sets I've collected thru the years both MF and 35mm. As my mood or spirit changes I feel drawn to different systems at different times not only for the results I get but how differently the systems handle and the fun of seeing what I can do and get with different lenses and th different approaches each system or set demands or encourages in me.

Obviously you got very lucky here getting such a nice camera and set of lenses. Have fun and see what you think. If it's not for you sell it off or pass on the favor to another close friend.

But don't decide such too quickly! Give it a year or two and at least 3-4 strong solid tries with the F4 system before you decide to move on from it.
    +1. I, too, have several systems (Hasselblad, Nikon and Leica) and bounce back and forth depending upon mood and what I happen to be interested in (or "planning") to shoot at the time. The Hasselblads - loaded with PanF/FP4/E100G/E100VS) are generally (but not always) my go to set for landscape or fine art work. The Nikons, for their part, get called on for sports or wildlife shooting (anything requiring long glass). And the M6 is usually my choice for a "walk around" when I feel a certain want of ambition and don't feel like carrying around a bag of gear. That said, I just enjoy shooting and tend to move quite easily between the three systems. And, too, sometimes it is interesting to "bounce around" between cameras just to see how the choice of equipment influences what and how I see, and how I will shoot what I see.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The f4 and system is great for anything dealing with more action and/or lower light than medium format is good for; things I mostly use the DSLR for. Back in the 90's I used one to shoot mucho sports, groups, concerts, events, weddings, etc...

It doesn't get as much use for me at the moment since I do small format digital, mf/lf film. but that's me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    for what it's worth, here is what I do:

MF whenever possible for almost everything. (Camera, 3 lenses, 2 backs). For me the image quality is the big deciding factor and I am willing to schlep a heavy bag and tripod around as a result.

When it is not possible to be carrying such a large camera system I will use my 35mm SLR (also 3 lenses). This includes on tour when travelling by plane, or out anytime I can't carry much gear. Also I opt for the 35mm most times I am taking candid pictures of people or need to take pictures handheld and or quickly. 35mm I also use for short exposure low light situations (F1.4 vs F3.5 makes a difference).

If I find myself in a situation where I can't really carry anything except in my pocket, or I want to be super discreet, I use a compact fixed lens rangefinder. It has a good quality 40mm F1.7 lens so is pretty versatile for a fixed lens.

In practical terms this means that even though I will always try and shoot MF, I also end up with tons of great pictures from my 35mm cameras. The image quality is not the same, but if a picture is good, it will be good no matter what camera was used, and sometimes 35mm allows me to take those good pictures where my RB67 would not have been able to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Buy some velvia slidefilm and start using it as i do with mine since ten years ago. My dream camera since late 1980:s.

Very much cheaper than mediumformat and slides.
    Use a good slide projector as Leicas and good optics.

E6 is probably history in about 10-33? years so enjoy it while yuo can. Maybe slidefilm wuold have survived much longer if people where more smart but they aren´t.
    They are only average people and consumers not photographers or artists.

F4s is a heavy beast to carry around but balances well whith long teleoptiks for sharp handheld shots.
    Il shot mostly nature adventure and sportfishing/flyfishing.
    Last edited by ksa66; 02-15-2013 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,

................ As most of us use medium format cameras ........

ToddB
    Really? Is this true?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    As most of us use medium format cameras...
    By this statement, I assume you mean, “most of us who participate in the APUG Medium Format Camera forum use medium format cameras.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin