Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,224   Online: 974

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had both.....and.....

Both have good points and bad points...

Given a choice I'd buy a RB67..or if you want to shoot square format a Bronica SQ or Hasselblad
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want to go with Russian MF camera's then go with http://www.araxfoto.com, I bought my KIEV-60 there about one and a half year ago and no problems whatsoever, you even get 2 years of warranty and they are pretty cheap. You can even get you camera customized with a different kind of leatherette.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course you HAVE to keep your 124G. As others have recommended, you like the 124G, then get another. Mark Hama is still around so he could CLA a heavily used one and you would be set for life. One color, one B&W, problem solved. I have a D, but honestly, two 124Gs would be the way to go for me too as I have all the accessories too for the 124G.

If someone made a 6x6 back for the Mamiya 645, it would bring new life to that camera system. I love mine but honestly would rather have 6x6 neg vs. the 6x4.5 neg, but I will live with it. Nice system but sounds like you want to do business in 124G fashion.........get two, don't look back.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post

If someone made a 6x6 back for the Mamiya 645, it would bring new life to that camera system. I love mine but honestly would rather have 6x6 neg vs. the 6x4.5 neg, but I will live with it. Nice system but sounds like you want to do business in 124G fashion.........get two, don't look back.

Bob E.

The Mamiya 645 cameras wouldn't be likely to work with 6 x 6 - some of the lenses have internal masking to control flare that is actually rectangular in shape - they wouldn't illuminate a square negative properly. Not to mention the problems with the viewing system.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, AFrank;

The consensus seems to be to keep the Yashica 124G, and wait for a while before getting a Kiev-88 or Kiev-88CM. Actually, I agree with that recommendation.

No, I do not have the Yashica 124G, but I do have something very similar; the Minolta Autocord. And then there are the Kiev cameras. Yes, I do have a Kiev-88, Kiev-88CM, Kiev-6C, and the ARAX-60 or an ARAX modified Kiev-60, and there are 16mm and 35mm Kiev cameras also.

Yes, I do like my Kiev cameras, but I must also agree that they may need work to get them to perform in the way that I like now, with the exception of the ARAX-60 which demonstrated that the Kiev cameras really can work in a very civilized manner when they first arrive.

By the way, the Minolta Autocord does have a sensitivity also; the swinging lever for focusing the lens. Be gentle with it. If it binds, do not force it; you will break it (empirical knowledge here). So, the Kiev cameras are not the only cameras out there with known quirks. But the Minolta Autocord is so much lighter than my Kiev 6 x 6 cameras.

You are in Germany. ARAX Foto ( www.araxfoto.com ) in Kiev, Ukraine is not very far away. Gevorg Vartanyan and his crew can take care of any of the problems that people have mentioned about the shortcomings of the Kiev cameras as they came out of Zavod Kyiv or the Kiev Arsenal.

I must also admit that the Kiev-88 and Kiev-88CM can have problems with frame spacing and with light leaks with the magazines. You learn to load the film carefully using the standard recommended process with the right take-up spool; that really helps with the frame spacing. I also admit that I still fit a lady's wide black elastic hair tie around the joint between the back of the Kiev-88 and the film magazine. It does help to keep out extraneous light and improves the number of enjoyable photographs from the camera and magazine combination. And, any other Kiev owner you encounter will know that you are an experienced Kiev-88 user.

Would I prefer to have the Kiev over a Hasselblad or Bronica? Well, no, not really. However, I will say that the Kiev cameras are a lot more fun to use, and the results you get from the FSU lenses really are very good, and I can say that I have all of my Kiev kit for less than what one Carl Zeiss lens for the Hasselblad can cost. And then there are the really wonderful expressions you can see on the face of a Hasselblad owner when he sees a Hasselblad viewfinder on top of a Kiev body.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Images
    I too am happy with my Kiev. I have owned two. The first was unmodified and worked great except at the highest speed. I had a chance to get one modified so traded my original for a canon rebel. Worst damn camera I have ever owned. The K88 I had modified was through Hartblei, and I think it was one of the last they did. I have been very very happy with it. I also admit that I was lucky as I have only had one bad lens, and my K88s have worked very well. Would I trust it on a paying job? no, not without a back up, but then again I would not trust any camera on a job unless I had a backup. My only regret was not getting an 88CM modification. YMMV as others have. If you want perfection you pay for it, and you pay a LOT for it. I have interchangeable backs several lenses and am happy.

I tried out a Yashica for a few days and was frustrated with no lens choice, no film choice, and the fact that it was a TLR irritated me. I could not get used to, and did not want to get use to the fact that I was not seeing exactly what I was taking an image of (fact of life with a TLR at close distances)
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess it depends on how and what you shoot and what features you value. I had never used a TLR when I bought my Yashicamat but quickly fell in love with it. It doesn't focus very close anyway so at the distances it will focus parallax really isn't much of a problem. I do occasionally wish I could get just a tad closer but usually backing up is not a problem, and I'm one of those folks who have no qualms at all about cropping so if that means my final print comes from a 5x5cm section of negative or whatever, I have no problem with that.

But I hear you in the sense that I wouldn't want a fixed lens TLR as my only camera.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 02-22-2013 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin