Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,695   Posts: 1,482,502   Online: 984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Torn between my Mat 124G and a Kiev88 Prospect.

I absolutely adore my Yashica Mat 124G. Perfect condition, lens sharp as hell, have almost every accessories for it..... but what would i not give for interchangeable backs and a f/ 2.8.

As a student I cant afford both and I was thinking of getting a Kiev88 and give up on my Yashica, but I dont even know how comfortable or well I would adapt to it...
    The Yashica is a pleasure to use, and the images it produces are gorgeous and bokehlicious while razor sharp in the center. The Kiev I have no idea, but it would be nice to have backs for low/high speed B&W and color....

Any ideas or suggestions? What should I expect from the Kiev? does it really matter?

Thanks!
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had bad experiences with Kiev shutters... And repairman wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have shot a Kiev 6C (similar optics) and currently use a 124G - don't give up the Yashica. In my opinion, the Yashica produces a better image, easier to use and much more reliable.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few years ago I was given a Kiev 88 and a few lens. The glass was good enough, but shutter, light leaks, frame spacing, well just not worth the time and money to have fixed. I understand that the Kiev's that have been overhalled are much better. I gave mine away as well. Remember that there is only a 1/2 stop differance between a 3.5 and 2.8.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So getting a 1.8 would be the only real reason to move to a SLR6x6?
    What about the ariflex reworked kievs?
    There arent any under 700$ right?

Thanks for the advice!
    "The Medium is the Message"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to have a Salyut (the precursor to the Kiev 88) with a 90mm lens. It was a bit clunky and crude in operation, but mine was reliable enough in the couple of years I used it regularly. The lens was really good, and I liked the quality of images from it. It was certainly sharp enough for my taste, although perhaps not as sharp in the corners unless stopped down a little. I stopped using it once I got hold of a Rolleiflex, and eventually sold the Salyut as I prefer the compact TLR form factor.

I might have been lucky, but i had no reliability problems at all with the Salyut, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    When I was shopping for a Kiev, read about all the faults of the K-88s. Instead settled on K-60 and have had good luck with these. Of course I don't need a interchangeable back and carry two bodies if needed. Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have several Russian cameras, and I really like Russian optics, but I wouldn't want a Russian camera as my only camera. The reliability is just not there. All of mine have had little issues crop up from time to time that I've been able to fix myself, but it was nice to have other cameras to shoot while doing so.

It sounds like you're very happy with your Yashicamat so it seems there is no reason to change. If money is tight, why not look for a Yashica C or D TLR to load with a second type of film. Most or all of the accessories you already own should fit it, and they can be found for under $100.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by afrank View Post
    I absolutely adore my Yashica Mat 124G. Perfect condition, lens sharp as hell, have almost every accessories for it..... but what would i not give for interchangeable backs and a f/ 2.8.

As a student I cant afford both and I was thinking of getting a Kiev88 and give up on my Yashica, but I dont even know how comfortable or well I would adapt to it...
    The Yashica is a pleasure to use, and the images it produces are gorgeous and bokehlicious while razor sharp in the center. The Kiev I have no idea, but it would be nice to have backs for low/high speed B&W and color....

Any ideas or suggestions? What should I expect from the Kiev? does it really matter?

Thanks!
    only buy keiv 88 if you are of a gambling nature and hope to lose. The Kiev 88 is a failed attempt by Soviet-era camera makers to duplicate a Hasselblad 1000, which is a camera Hassy couldn't make work right as evidenced by the fact that they abandoned it. Add in that famous Soviet quality (Soviet Kamera motto: Quality is Job Never!) and you've got a camera that could, within a month as the one I tried did, turn into a very expensive paperweight.

I did buy one, sent it back 3 times in a month and the third time I told them not to send it back. The mechanics were totally unreliable, the interior was not baffled and spewed light all over the place, it was junk. I've stuck with Rollei ever since, and yur yashica will be a good reliable tool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you love the Yashica, I'd keep it. As for f/2.8, only you know if you need that, I know I don't on my Rolleiflex 2.8GX, f/3.5 would be just fine. With interchangeable backs, well it depends on how quick you need to change film types or reload. I used to have a Hasselblad with a couple of backs, it's cool, but I don't miss those backs now that I'm using a Rolleiflex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin