Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,401   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I re-read your post. I shoot a Hasselblad 6x6 and from memory it isn't really heavier than the 6x4.5 cameras that I owned. Maybe it is but it isn't enough to make a difference and I have a very bad back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own all sorts of Mamiya equipment (C series TLRs, 645 Pro and RB67 plus lenses and accessories), and none of the others you are considering, so consider this advice carefully.

All of the choices you have listed are high in quality. The reasons I own lots of Mamiya equipment include:

1) they have several different features in a number of their cameras that work well for me - I am strongly left handed!;
    2) the cost of much of the equipment I have has been very reasonable on the used equipment market; and
    3) there is good availability on the used equipment market.

The latter two factors you can evaluate for yourself using the internet. The first factor though is one that requires either hands on experience or, at the least, the opportunity to observe someone else operating the equipment.

So my recommendation is that you do your best to actually handle your choices or, even better, borrow them if you can.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Matt, I agree with you 100% about everything you said but what is most important is about hand holding an actual camera. I really don't see going to a 645 camera saving you that much weight over the 6x6 that the OP now owns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
    The mamiya will have the advantage of inderchangeable backs (I am not concerned)
    Having interchangeable backs is a considerable advantage if you shoot more than one type of film, or if you do not want to stall for a few minutes mid-shoot to change film rolls. I have four backs for my Mamiya 645 AFD II. I load them with TMax400 and Acros, FP4+ and TriX. Occasionally I replace the FP4+ and TriX with colour film, either slide or negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Considered a medium format range finder? You can get 6x4.5, 6x6 or 6x9 all a lot smaller than an SLR.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have re-read the posts you will already have seen that the P645N doesn't have mirror lock-up but someone who has experience of both the 645N and 645 Nii says that mirror lock-up is not necessary.

I too have a P645N and haven't yet found that mirror lock-up to be necessary. The 645Nii is more expensive and other than mirror lock-up has nothing extra/better that I can see

Have a look at Ken Rockwell's site. He has a review of the P645N which I think is accurate.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I vote for the 645Nii but I am very biased. To me it is one of the best 645 cameras available. However, never having owned the others you mentioned I can't comment on them. The biggest weak point that people mention regarding the Pentax is the inability to change film backs in the middle of a roll. If that is very important to you then the 645Nii is not your camera. But, I have to say, I have never been worried about that issue so for me it doesn't even hit my radar screen. I do love the lenses. Since the 645D came out the lenses have gone up a bit in price so they are no longer as inexpensive as they were but they can still be had for good prices.

One thing you may want to consider though is a good TLR. You can get some awesome landscapes on 6x6 medium format with a good Rolleiflex or Yashica Mat and it is WAYYY easier to pack around than any of you other choices. Even with a meter included.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. 645 is a great format and I enjoy shooting it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Pentax 645N for a while and the handling was really nice. If I were to get 645 SLR again I would chose Contax if I could afford it (the 80 and 120 lenses are great, 140 is great for portraits) or Pentax 645NII (the 'II' for the matrix metering) if I were after after long lenses (there are great 300 and 400 lenses). The disadvantage of the Pentax is that it does not allow to change film backs mid-roll.

But if you do not need an SLR and fast lenses than do have a look at the Bronica RF 645. I personally find that the 65/4 lens has great 'pop' - just check Flickr.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Contax 645.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm
    Is a $1000 budget going to get a Contax and say two lenses? A $1000 is the budget and while the OP might get away with the standard lens, I'd have thought that a short telephoto or wide angle might be needed to give a reasonable range.

No question about it being a very good camera

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin