Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,425   Online: 1163

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations hamfisted! A little knowledge is worth a lot. In your case it sounds like more than just a little, and it is clearly paying off for you! Happy shooting!
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
    Thinking of selling my Leica M2 and the voigtlander 40mm for a 645 medium format.
    Why sell them? If you are patient and depending on what you get you should be able to get a pretty good MF SLR rig for $300 or less. An ETRSI with speed grip, metered prism, and 75mm PE lens should be about $300 on a certain auction site.

Medium format is different from 35mm. I shoot mostly medium format but I still keep a 35mm camera handy. If you don't need a high degree of automation I would go with the Bronica ETRSI and try and get it at a good price point. If you get it at a reasonable price you will be able to sell it without much of a loss if you change your mind or if you decide to move up in formats or get a camera with more automation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it have to be a SLR? If you want a lightweight camera with good lenses for landscape, the Mamiya 6 or 7 might be worth a try. Since you already have a Leica I assume you may like the rangefinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    Does it have to be a SLR? If you want a lightweight camera with good lenses for landscape, the Mamiya 6 or 7 might be worth a try. Since you already have a Leica I assume you may like the rangefinder?
    For landscapes, a Pentax 6x7 with a 45 and/or 55 to me just makes a lot more sense than a Mamiya 6 or 7. In terms of cost there will be a big difference, and in terms of suitability too. Landscapes without a near foreground to me look somewhat one-dimensional, and therefore one would try to get close subjects in to give dimension. The problem with rangefinders is exact framing with close subjects. Of course this can probably be learned through practice, but I would prefer to use an SLR for such work. Of course there are many that will differ from me in this respect. An advantage of the Pentax system is that it can be expanded with many more lenses, at a much lower cost than the Mamiya rangefinders. The Mamiya lens range is much more restricted, although the lenses are absolutely superb.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It has been said several times already, but I have to throw in another vote for the Pentax 645N. It is just so much fun to use. The comparison to an 35mm on stereoids is perfect: fire & forget. It is very handholdable, AE works reliable and focus is adequately fast. My lens arsenal consists of the FA 45/2.8, FA 75/2.8 and the FA 200/4.0. The 45mm is indeed weak at the boarders as several reviewers already noted. But the 75/2.8 and 200/4.0 are astonishing. I also own the Pentax 67 adapter and it is fun to use those manual lenses on the comfortable 645N body.

The 645N II has some gimmicks to offer like additional imprint data, more custom functions which can be set at a Pentax service center, a different surface finish and mirror lock-up. They are all nice to have, but not necessary. I would go for an 645N II if the price is very good, otherwise go for an 645N, you won't miss anything.

For your interest, here is a comparison of the imprint data between both models:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/8...8419422841.jpg

Christian

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Mamiya Pro TL, if you can get that or and AFD, you won't regret it.

The AFD is probably the better choice if you want a hybrid (digital/analog) solution in the future.

Other than that, I suggest 6X6, as it's a really beautiful format. I have a few folding cameras I use for 6X6, and there's just something about it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I vote for the Pentax. One great feature of this camera is that you can use Pentax 67 glass via a Pentax adapter. Works seamlessly.

I had the Mamiya 645 camera too, but found two things I did not like: (1) film back has a tendency to become loose; and (2) lenses were made of cheap plastic.

The downside to the Pentax is that you cannot change film mid-roll or attach a digital back. Other than this, the Pentax is a better design IMHO.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tnabbott View Post
    I had the Mamiya 645 camera too, but found two things I did not like: (1) film back has a tendency to become loose; and (2) lenses were made of cheap plastic.
    Not really the case, some lenses are made of plastic, others are metal. There's not one part of my Pro TL package that fits the describtion "cheap plastic", and the 200mm 2.8 APO has a construction that could in no way be described as "cheap".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
    Not really the case, some lenses are made of plastic, others are metal. There's not one part of my Pro TL package that fits the describtion "cheap plastic", and the 200mm 2.8 APO has a construction that could in no way be described as "cheap".
    I concur. Nothing in any of my medium format Mamiya kits is cheaply made. You have to abuse it severely to break it. That goes from my 645 to rb67 to C220 gear.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went with the Mamiya 645 Pro years back because as stated way earlier, availability of all options are still there and price point is good and only getting better. As for TTL in the Pro II, haven't missed it yet as all the old potato masher monster flashes work perfectly for it.....and there is nothing like showing up somewhere with your 645 armed with a potato masher, most folks have never seen one these days!

My only fuss with the 645 is that since it is manual focus, you really have to be on your game if you desire to follow kids around playing. Normally I hit 50% when doing so.......I have had to resort to my aging F4 or wonderful F5 to chase kids around with film.

I think you will find that none of us have never been unhappy with any medium format choice we have made. The quality improvement is so substantial that it's worth the hassle every time. And when you get everything right and the result is a spectacular photograph......then you know why you put up with the hassle. That, and honestly, it will take many, many more years and hundreds of photos to truly say "I have reached the limits that this camera can produce, I need something better." 35mm brought me into photography when I was young, medium format challanges me to be the best photographer I am. Have fun with yours.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin