Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,475   Online: 980

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleicord case between different types

I know there's not much love for the Rolleicord Everready case, but I'd feel better having my camera covered when not in use.
    My question is whether or not later Rolleicord cases are compatible with my Rolleicord III or do I have to be very specific due to knob placement/size. The III wasn't the most numerous model, so tracking one down could prove difficult.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not familiar with the iii but I'd bet, offhand, that its knobs are not the same as other 'cords.

Your local camera store has a nice selection of padded bags that would probably actually be better -- especially since the old leather cases tend to be dry. I bought one once that looked and felt mint, but the hinge very quickly started to tear, being 50 years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Va and Vb cases won't fit because the focus knob switched sides. From a glance at pictures of earlier models I think any of the "knob on the right" models might work, but I think the III is actually the most numerous of that family.

Have you used one of these infamous cases before? I guess they must work for some people, but in my opinion they're unpopular for pretty good reasons...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Summicron1: Not a bad idea, though in terms of quick access, a modern case would be worse.
    Anybody know if there are custom options available? They'd probably cost more than my 'cord but it'd be worth it for Rolleiflex owners.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The Va and Vb cases won't fit because the focus knob switched sides. From a glance at pictures of earlier models I think any of the "knob on the right" models might work, but I think the III is actually the most numerous of that family.

Have you used one of these infamous cases before? I guess they must work for some people, but in my opinion they're unpopular for pretty good reasons...

-NT
    The case I'm looking at on Fleabay has the holes on the correct side relative to my camera. I have not used these cases before as it is my first TLR. I have other cameras that use the everready-style case and I'm not too bothered by them. I usually remove the top completely when I'm shooting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem I have with TLR cases is that you need to remove them to change film. And in doing this, you need to spread the sides at the bottom in order to clear the lower spool knob. On old cases, the threads rip here first. Plan on re-stitching the case within the first few months.

Also DO NOT use the original leather strap on the case. I lost a Rolleicord to one of the old straps giving way and sending the camera to the sidewalk. Replace any strap unless it is obvious that it is recent. As I remember, Rollei cases need rivets for the strap. Some cases , like Yashica-Mat ones, have loops for straps securely riveted into place. Check this out, as you'll need to do a rivet or get one done.

One major item to change over the years on Rolleis is the size of the focus knob. If your camera's is smaller than the opening, no problem, of course.

The Loewpro Adventura 120 case is great for TLRs. The camera fits snugly, inlcuding with the lens hood in place, and a little room for accessories. I use it to carry my Rolleiflex in my knapsack, on my bicycle, etc. $25 or so from B&H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Also DO NOT use the original leather strap on the case. I lost a Rolleicord to one of the old straps giving way and sending the camera to the sidewalk. Replace any strap unless it is obvious that it is recent. As I remember, Rollei cases need rivets for the strap. Some cases , like Yashica-Mat ones, have loops for straps securely riveted into place. Check this out, as you'll need to do a rivet or get one done.
    Mine didn't come with a strap either so I've since put in a modern, generic, eBay one. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for the info Dan, just received mine fits perfectly.

Regards Charles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin