Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,688   Online: 821

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Anyway.. if you want I can tell you how to open her up n CLA..

or as I said I can use the parts to give another lens a new life.

paul
    Paul, I'd love to get the skinny on it and give it a shot on a rainy day (March in Texas so I should have a few). Tell you what, if I fail, it's yours - if I succeed I buy you a drink!

The glass is in excellent shape, and it's been my favorite, would love to have a backup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sure I can use a drink. I know you'll get her going again. Just take your time n be patient.. it;s an easy surgery.

E-Me when you're ready to get to work?

meanwhile your shopping list of must haves....
    get a set of Whia screwdrivers from MicroTools.. their small assorted set is all you need.. no other special tools needed. It should have the O, OO, OOO crosspoints.. our main one is the OOO.

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-2...llips-8pc.aspx

Get some Coleman camping stove liquid fuel from any outfitter like EMS REI.. Models even carries it.

At the music store get a 1oz bottle of trumpet valve oil.

Small container of denatured alcohol from the paint store.

That is all you will need to do a CLA on your lens.. and maybe every lens you own after you see how easy n fun this is.
    Last edited by paul ron; 02-20-2013 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format

RE: Mamiya RB Lens Repair?

What do you lubricate with the trumpet valve oil?
    Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gear pintels.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have everything but the valve oil (which I used to have - played cornet in the school band. That was another lifetime ago though...)

My screwdrivers are a set with the replaceable tips and handle set. I just re-foamed the camera & backs and they were priceless to get the back apart (and do the zen-like glue removal on the dark slide spring). My local ace sells those small sizes if I need another.

Can you post the steps on this thread (or a new one)? Between old cameras, old guitars, and recording gear, I can't tell you how many killer threads that are now years old end with a "PM me for the repair/adjustment details" followed by a "PM Sent". It would be great if future searchers could find a concise explanation.

Ready for surgery - I even have a nurse's uniform for my wife! (Honestly, I do, come to think of it... there's a box of music video props in the closet...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's funny, I've posted the same instructions so many times here but no one ever bothers to search it again... sometimes/most times no one ever reads it.. or at least the post didn't end in a thanks.. or even a PM sent or recieved.

The other reason I like e-mails, we can send pics back n forth alot faster than I can figure out how to get em up here.

Yes I'll post it here... not a problem.

I'll get to it later though I ahve so many tings to do this morning n possably tonight.. have a shoot today n a repair tonight... I'll pull out my 180 so we are on the same lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds great - by the way, I just searched APUG with "mamiya 180mm stuck shutter" and did find a post from you (but it was an 'email me"). Mamiya RB stuck shutter did come up with a rough-ish rundown - if there's a decent post here that will save you some time, feel free to point me.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm fine getting the shutter exposed and then will need to take some pics to suss out what's wrong. I do have a nice macro lens for my DSLR though...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK got my 180-C right here..

first you have to take out the name ring form the filter threads. I use a rubber no-hub cap jsut smaller than the lens front. That will also double to get the front cell out as well. You can also use even presure of your thumbs, wear rubber gloves to give you more purchase.. a bottle cap rubber sheet... get inventive n use your imagination but it has to come off.

*****a tip.. if you unscrew the front cone by grabbibng the lens n turning it... that will take the preasure off the name plate n make it easier to get out.

Once it's out.. you'll see the front cell in the center.. it has 2 notches on the sides for a spanner tool. You cna again use the rubber plug or even preasure on the rim.. 2 screwdrtivers one on each side.. I sometimes use a large c-clip pliers... or hemostat.. but most times it comes out by using my fingers or the rubber plug. It;s in there tight but once you break it loose initicallyu, it unscrews like a light bulb.

******Sometimes it is possable to unscrew the cone and by jamming a rubber bottle cap sheet in there as you pull up on it n turn the entire thing, it will have plenty of grip n come right up for ya.

After the front cell is out you can unscrew the cone the cell was sitting in.

Once you get that out we can go on... the rest is easy.. alot easier.

Last edited by paul ron; 02-23-2013 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks - I think I'll start on this monday. I assume you're talking about a plumbing connector (like a fermco) - I have a garage full of those.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes plumbing caps.. black rubber with an aircraft clamp around the edge... if it;s too flimsy, just cut her down a bit shorter to stiffen the rim.

Also if yoyu grab the cone of the lens.. it will unscrew ofmr the lower portion of the lens barrel. It will come up maybe high enough you can grab the rim of the ring with your finger n twist her out easier that way. It;s a common sence thing. you'll see as you get it started.

BTW this is the hard part.

Oh once we get to taking screws out.. put em in a pill organizer so to keep em with the step we are at. It makes a differrence in types of heads n threads when reassembeling step by step.

My work surface has a thin excersize mat so it won't marr the lens, screws n things can't bounce off or roll either.

Good light n stay neat.

Have fun n enjoy the ride. You may adopt a new hobby.. restoring cameras.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin