Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 672

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB Lens Repair?

Anyone have some advice for RB shutter repair? KEH is now on a "one-price" level, $180 + shipping for any MF lens with shutter needing service.

It's a 180c, when triggered off-camera it makes the appropriate "thunk" but the iris & shutter don't budge, they just stay wide open.

The glass is in great shape and I hate to throw stuff out... and I just got a really clean replacement from KEH for $65.00. I saw the thread here on disassembling the 180, I might break down and try it. I hate to throw stuff out, especially a nice clean example like this one. Good chance I'd just destroy it trying DIY surgery.

Hopefully there's a forum member who enjoys messing with such things? Thanks for any ideas.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you fail I'll take the glass from you? I have a 180 that is wating almost 2 years for new eyes.

Your problem can be anything from oil in the blades to a mising or bad spring. Most likely a good shutter wash will solve your curiosity n uncover the problem.

e-mail me, we can talk about it?
    paul
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've torn down RZ lenses to fix things in the past. RB should be similar, perhaps easier. With the right tools, it's not that hard. at the very least, it will make a nice wide-field loupe for 6x7 negs or transparencies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to contact Paul Ebel, he fixed the shutter on a Mamiya tlr lens for me last year, did a great job and the price was fair.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From info in a thread off of PhotoNet, (below) it appears that MAC, Mamiya America,
    sold much of their remaining Mamiya parts inventory to KEH, in Georgia.
    180mm lenses for the RB are very common on the auction site, and
    as you stated, you found another lens for far less then KEH's repair cost.

If you don't work something out with Paul, or anyone else, you
    may also want to give Carol, at Flutots a call.

PS: Like many, I don't like to throw away anything, either.

Marc

I asked MAC (Mamiya) if they had a part for my C220 camera and they said all parts were sold to KEH when they moved to a new location last year.
    From the thread at PhotoNet: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00bMf5

Initiate a dialogue with Carol, at Flutots.
    http://flutotscamerarepair.com/Services.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Parts are the issue - it's easy enough to tear one down, but when you find you can't get hold of the correct part it's frustrating (to say the least)..and a second hand part (especially a main spring) is not always the ideal solution..

I should know - I have 2 backs needing parts, and no parts are available!
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shutters rarely need parts.. they need cleaning n a lube job most times. These shutters in the C n non-C were made to out last all of us I think.

Main springs are also a rare part to go in these shutters unless an end tab breaks off.. rarely though.

Andrew, What parts do you need for your backs? I have several dead backs in the closet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The odd thing on this one - it seems like something's not connecting. Mamiya lenses make such a satisfying "thunk" when triggered off, and this one does - but nothing happens. So some pieces of the mechanism are moving, but there's a disconnect - which could be a broken and irretrievable part, or just something that needs to be re-attached. Glad I found a replacement, but it's sad the way this gear is aging. After spending a month on my "return" to the darkroom with 35, the giant RB negs were sort of "ahhhh" city. I'm aging as well, so maybe I'm just wanting to put a deposit in my karma account?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The main problem with how this gear ages is lack of maintenance. Professionals maintained their equipment on a regulart basis.. not wait for when something goes wrong as most amatures do. By that time is it almost too late so the wearing effects of this become very damaging.

We take for granted what we have at such bargain prices.. once these monsters denanded a pretty penny but earned more than their weight in gold... so the level of appreciation has goen down. So a CLA on that 180mm lens will cost you $90, a repalcement used one will cost you $100.. you'd go for the $100 and the old one becomes a paper weight. But new that lens would have cost you $500 or more so the CLA was well worth it.

More than likely it;s jsut a clceaning n maybe a spring slipped off it;s post.. not terrable damages you are predicting. I repair lots of these lenses n rarely do I need to replace parts... especially since you say it is still purring just not closing it;s eyes... CLA.

Anyway.. if you want I can tell you how to open her up n CLA..

or as I said I can use the parts to give another lens a new life.

paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=paul ron;1464569]The main problem with how this gear ages is lack of maintenance. Professionals maintained their equipment on a regulart basis.. not wait for when something goes wrong as most amatures do. By that time is it almost too late so the wearing effects of this become very damaging.

We take for granted what we have at such bargain prices.. once these monsters denanded a pretty penny but earned more than their weight in gold... so the level of appreciation has goen down. So a CLA on that 180mm lens will cost you $90, a repalcement used one will cost you $100.. you'd go for the $100 and the old one becomes a paper weight. But new that lens would have cost you $500 or more so the CLA was well worth it.

More than likely it;s jsut a clceaning n maybe a spring slipped off it;s post.. not terrable damages you are predicting. I repair lots of these lenses n rarely do I need to replace parts... especially since you say it is still purring just not closing it;s eyes... CLA.

Anyway.. if you want I can tell you how to open her up n CLA..

or as I said I can use the parts to give another lens a new life.

paul[/QUOTE
    I agree, if your photography is as important a part of your life as it has been in mine having your equipment given some preventive maintenance from time to time should be considered as part of the cost like film and processing instead of accumulating more and more cameras and lenses that you probably in practice rarely use
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin